Default Boat Newbie - How to secure outboard motor while trailering

Hello,

I am a buying a 20' Carolina Skiff DLX with a Yamaha F90 stroke
outboard. When I trailer the boat, what precautions do I need to take
with the motor? I believe all I need to do is have the motor lowered
to normal running angle while on the trailer. Is there anything else I
need to be aware of? Do I need a support bar?

Thanks.
D.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am a buying a 20' Carolina Skiff DLX with a Yamaha F90 stroke
outboard. When I trailer the boat, what precautions do I need to take
with the motor? I believe all I need to do is have the motor lowered
to normal running angle while on the trailer. Is there anything else I
need to be aware of? Do I need a support bar?

Thanks.
D.

Actually you need to *raise* the motor to a trailering position when
trailering it, not lowering it to a normal running angle.
:-)

I think you were making a joke....but I want to be clear....when the
boat is up on the trailer, getting read to by towed, should the motor
and lower unit be roughly 90 degrees to the pavement?

Thanks.Dave.

On Nov 1, 8:17 pm, " JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote:
wrote in oglegroups.com...

Hello,

I am a buying a 20' Carolina Skiff DLX with a Yamaha F90 stroke
outboard. When I trailer the boat, what precautions do I need to take
with the motor? I believe all I need to do is have the motor lowered
to normal running angle while on the trailer. Is there anything else I
need to be aware of? Do I need a support bar?

Thanks.
D.Actually you need to *raise* the motor to a trailering position when

trailering it, not lowering it to a normal running angle.
:-)

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No joke. You raise the drive to avoid damaging it and the prop when
trailering.

When long term storing it on a trailer you should lower the drive.

Okay...I understand raising it to not hit the the prop or lower unit
while towing, but the manual says to

"have it in normal running condition unless it will not clear the road.
If it will not clear the road, raise it and use a transom saver"

Do I need a transom saver for this boat/motor combo when raising the
motor?

On Nov 1, 8:27 pm, " JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote:
wrote in oglegroups.com...

[...]

you shouldn't, because when the engine if fully raised or "trailer"
position, the mass of the engine is in front of the transom, and you
have less weight hanging ont he back of the transom.

I have seen some people use a special bar that attaches to the base of
the back of the trailer, and has a "v" which they use to support the
lower end. to secure it. so that the engine isn't wanting to flop (even
minutely) on its mounts.

Tell us, is the engine hydrolic trim. where you can tilt the engine via
a switch? or do you ahve to pull a pin and tilt the engine manually?

wrote:
[...]

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 May 21st 06 05:23 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM