Default It's such a nice day...

"RG" wrote in message
. ..
.

I suppose, but the underlying platform, the Ford F150 certainly isn't
targeted towards women. My amazement as to the transmission was more
oriented to the underlying platform than to the Lincoln itself. I had
just assumed that Ford's bread and butter vehicle was a bit more up to
date in the area of auto transmission technology, especially since the
Super Dutys have had a 5 speed since 2003. Anybody know if he F150's main
competitor, the half-ton GM Silverado, is also a 4 speed auto, or are they
using a 5 speed? I'm pretty sure the Dodge half-ton is still using a 4
speed, but I'm not certain. It may not sound like a big deal to some, but
when it comes to getting the most out of the powerband of a given engine,
especially when towing, that extra gear makes a big difference.

That's probably why the Super Duties are recommended for any serious towing
purposes. The TorqueShift transmission is great ..... very similar in
operation to the Allison that GM uses. Interestingly though, Ford rates the
Lincoln Pickup as capable of towing around 8,600 lbs, "properly equipped".

Eisboch

"RG" wrote in message

I gotta go the other way on this one. This is one of those things where
more is really more. The extra gears get you a lower low and a higher
high. Makes for a quicker, smoother, and more economical vehicle. I love
the 6 speed auto in my daily driver. 1st is quite low for quick starts,
and 5th and 6th are both overdrives. Great economy, and smooth as buttah.
Auto trans technology has come a long way in the past five years. The new
07 replacement for my car comes standard with an 8 speed auto. I'm
guessing you're at a point of diminishing returns there. Mercedes has a 7
speed in a number of its cars.

It did make a huge difference in the diesel truck going from a 4 speed in
my 2000 to a 5 speed in my 2005. Night and day.

I've read that the 5 speed TorqueShift (which is really a re-designed
version of the older 4 speed) was developed specifically to handle the
higher torque of the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel when Ford retired the 7.3L.
It's features worked out well for heavy hauling and towing, so it is also
used in the gas Super Duties.
My son's '05 F-250 with the V-10 also has the TorqueShift. It appears that
the F-150 series still uses the older transmission.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:37:56 -0400, Bert Robbins
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:05:29 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:
Mrs.E. had a 330ci and was intimidated by big trucks in it. Too bad,
because it really was a great car.
She then tried a BMW X5 and hated it. Then she had a Lincoln Navigator and
thought it was too big.

Anyway, she now has one of these as her daily driver and loves it for it's
room and utility:

http://www.lincoln.com/marklt/photogallery_exterior.asp

Oversexed F-150. I would rather get the F-150 SueprCrew King Ranch.

Which is also an oversexed F-150.

Get a real truck - an F-250. :)

It too, comes in a King Ranch trim level.

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

Get a real truck - an F-250. :)

It too, comes in a King Ranch trim level.

Don't be giving Mrs.E. ideas. We don't need two of these:

http://www.eisboch.com/f350.html

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

On 10/22/2006 1:25 PM, Eisboch wrote:

LOL. It's the anticipation anyway ... I ordered a car lift from Rotary
Lift (Revolution) on June 3rd. The distributor told me it would be
delivered and installed the week of June 26th.

It was delivered and installed Friday afternoon.

Eisboch

I've never owned a "custom" fishing rod.
BTW, I talked my wife out of a Mustang, but no choice as of the moment.

Check it out:

http://www.eisboch.com/Lift1small.jpg

http://www.eisboch.com/Lift2small2.jpg

Eisboch

That's a nice lift!

Harry Krause wrote:
On 10/22/2006 9:08 PM, JimH wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

On 10/22/2006 7:39 PM, Dan wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:50:46 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

BTW, I talked my wife out of a Mustang, but no choice as of the
moment.

YAY!!!

Now, go buy here a Corvette.

If you haven't, check out a BMW 330i or 330ci. It is sporty,
gobs of power and handles beautifully.
The 330ci is a convertable. The top is double layered and
insulated. With it up you cannot distinguish it as being a
convertible, noise or cold-wise.

Eisboch

Or the 335i. Twin turbos in a BMW!

Dan

My wife is more into "cute" cars than "performance" cars, and also (a
paradox) likes to sit higher in a heavier vehicle than most sports or
sporty cars allow. It's going to take a while for her to find what
she really wants, when and if she devotes some time to the task.

Hmmm. A pick-me-up truck?

Have you looked at the Toyota Highlander? No, it is not a pickup but
a small SUV with a car-like ride. My wife has one and loves it.

We have a 4Runner she drives now. I like the Highlander, too, but it is
a frameless SUV and as you imply, a car, not a truck. The 4Runner has a
traditional truck frame. Still, the highlander has a lot of appeal.

If I can keep the wife working, the Toyota Highlander may be my next
vehicle. It should handle my 2000 pound boat/trailer tow weight easily.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:58:22 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

There is a great scene in it where a Hispanic type gives English
lessons. He holds up a model '57 Chevy, points to the flames and
says:

"Flambes - Flames"...

Ok, it doesn't come off in print, but it was pretty funny. :)

uh, huh.

Speaking of Ford ... you been following the financial news ? They be in
big do-do. Lost lotsa, lotsa money in the third quarter. Losses have been
driven by loosing market share, primarily in the F-series trucks.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:58:22 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

Get a real truck - an F-250. :)

It too, comes in a King Ranch trim level.

Don't be giving Mrs.E. ideas. We don't need two of these:

http://www.eisboch.com/f350.html

Ever see "Groove Tube"?

--

My favorite scene in the movie is when the do the commercial parody for
Butz Beer!!

Gently down the stream - Several Nice Canoeing Articles [email protected] General 2 July 7th 05 08:33 PM
nice cruise sailboat on eBay ... ~^ beancounter ~^ Cruising 0 April 20th 05 06:03 PM
A little nice news...OT John H General 0 March 29th 05 01:50 AM
from Stockholm to Nice infobil Electronics 0 November 2nd 04 03:05 PM
What a Nice Day Bobsprit ASA 9 November 29th 03 03:18 AM