Default MerCruiser 3.0 vs 4.3

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that I
should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on an
18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

I've got the 3 liter engine in my 19' bowrider and it's adequate. It has
more than enough power for wakeboarding and tubing with 4-5 adults and
several children aboard. It does take a while to get my 200# body up on
skis, but I'm the only fatso in the family, and I'm usually the driver,
anyway. I've never felt that I needed anymore power.

"Woods" wrote in message
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that
I should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on
an 18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

I have a four winns with a 4.3

with a ski prop on pull a 200lbs out no problem
with a cruising prop on, I can go 45mph.

I can see a 3.0 working, but only for "light duty"

I've used the cruising prop for water skiing, I didn't overheat, but I could
definately tell A) the boat was struggling and B) the skiier had a harder time.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:03:02 GMT, "Woods" wrote:

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that I
should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on an
18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.

I have a 19' openbow SeaRay with a 3.0. Two adults (incl. me @ 210) and
2 kids in the boat and I can still pull up a 175 lb skier no prob.

Max speed is about 42mph with only me and my wife in the boat so if you
want more speed than that, you'll need a bigger engine. It's enough for
me.

Can't beat the fuel consumption either. We have 4 kids and they all
love the boat. I pull the tube with two of them on it and they never
want to go more than 25mph.

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that I
should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on an
18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

Get the 4.3. You won't regret it later. You can always not use the
extra power when you don't need it by simply not pushing the throttle
as far. You can't add extra power that isn't there. It will also
improve the resale as some people avoid the 3.0.

The 3.0 will perform adequately but will struggle if you want to pull
up a skier with the full capacity of adults on board. Or if you ever
get one of those big tubes and put 3 or 4 people on it.

Woods wrote:
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

For what it's worth, if you're looking at a new boat this time of year,
you should be able to get the 4.3L for what you would have paid for the
3.0L 2 months ago.

I went with the 4.3L in a Seaswirl 170 this summer and I like it ...
very nice performance in a little boat ... sure glad I did not take the
3.0L.

For what it's worth, if you're looking at a new boat this time of year,
you should be able to get the 4.3L for what you would have paid for the
3.0L 2 months ago.

I went with the 4.3L in a Seaswirl 170 this summer and I like it ...
very nice performance in a little boat ... sure glad I did not take the
3.0L.

If this link works, go down to the props for the SX drive and compare
the 3L, 4.3L. Top speed is not that big a deal for me but ...
http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/2D..._2005_2006.pdf

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:03:02 GMT, "Woods" wrote:

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that I
should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on an
18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

I have a 1995 19' cuddy cabin with the 3.0. It has adequate speed and
can pull my two grandkids on the tube as fast as they want to go with
4 adults in the boat. I can't even complain about the take off.
However, I do feel that it requires the engine to run a bit faster to
get to that plane point than I like and it seems that either I am
plowing just below plane or going on plane and going too fast. It is
very difficult to find that sweet spot for cruising. My nephew and two
sisters each have open bows between 18 and 20 feet all with the 4.3
engines. There seems to not be the same issues. Is it the engine or is
it the boat, I can't say. For pure basic power I think the 3.0 is
fine, but for the control of a better power band I think the 4.3 would
make me happier.

Dave Hall

My ChrisCraft 169 (17 ft.) Enclosed bow, has a 3.0. its a good basic
power plant for this boat. Its a fun little ride and works great for 3
adults, or 4 adults and 3 little grand kids. It's good for tubing, but
not the ebst for ski's. Oh, it will pull a kid up ok, but you don't
have much power varient to work with.

My next boat will be a 19-21 ft. with either 4.3 or 350 v8.

True, you can always back off the throttle off a bigger motor easier,
than you can ad more power to a smaller engine.

Dave Hall wrote:
[...]

Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Power Boat Racing 0 February 8th 06 05:43 PM
Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Touring 0 February 8th 06 05:42 PM
Question about older Mercruiser inboard Lenny Stover General 9 July 14th 04 12:51 PM
Question about older Mercruiser inboard Lenny Stover General 0 July 10th 04 08:13 PM
? Mercruiser oil vs synethic oil frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:42 PM