Josh Assing Josh Assing is offline

Default MerCruiser 3.0 vs 4.3

I have a four winns with a 4.3

with a ski prop on pull a 200lbs out no problem
with a cruising prop on, I can go 45mph.

I can see a 3.0 working, but only for "light duty"

I've used the cruising prop for water skiing, I didn't overheat, but I could
definately tell A) the boat was struggling and B) the skiier had a harder time.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:03:02 GMT, "Woods" wrote:

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an 18 ft ski boat along the lines of a
Sea-Ray, Four Winns, Maxum I'm not sure on which make yet but I can't
decide on which engine size.

The boat is for recreational use such as light duty water skiing and
wakeboarding of mostly kids with a few adults onboard.
I'm hearing various stories that the 3.0 inboard is underpowered and that I
should stay away from it. Some people I talk to say that that engine on an
18ft boat won't be able to even pull a 100 lb kid out of the water. Of
course these are people with the 4.3 liter engines. Is there anyone out
there that can tell me what kind of performance I could expect with a 3.0
liter inboard, can I pull a water skier out of the water?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.