posted to alt.sailing

Default Capri 16.5 vs. Flying Scot

Hi,

Looking for a boat. Have a 2 & 4 year old and a wife. I have some
experience with a Hobie & Sunfish. I have the ASA BKB and BCC
certificates.

I live a mile from Kentucky Lake and can keep the boat at the water on
a trailer with the mast up. Will only go out for a few hours at a
time. I will sail by myself often.

Something I think I would like to do is take the boat to Florida west
coast around Sanibel and visit small islands for shells, picnic, etc.

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

Kevin

posted to alt.sailing

wrote...

Looking for a boat. Have a 2 & 4 year old and a wife. I have some
experience with a Hobie & Sunfish. I have the ASA BKB and BCC
certificates.

I live a mile from Kentucky Lake and can keep the boat at the water on
a trailer with the mast up. Will only go out for a few hours at a
time. I will sail by myself often.

Something I think I would like to do is take the boat to Florida west
coast around Sanibel and visit small islands for shells, picnic, etc.

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

I am not familiar with the Capri.

I have sailed the Flying Scott a few times, and it was on my short list for
my last sailboat. I decided on a SeaPearl 21 instead. Easier to rig, easy
to single-hand, and built for shallow water.

Check it out at www.marine-concepts.com and/or the SeaPearl group on yahoo

posted to alt.sailing

I have raced a Flying Scot and found it easy to handle. They have a
large cockpit, and should be able to accomodate your family plus an
extra couple. Gross trailering weight is 1200 lbs, so any intermediate
sized, non-turbocharged vehicle should be able to tow it. There is an
active class association and plenty of racing opportunities if you are
interested in racing.

The Capri 16.5 is smaller, but should accomodate your family, but would
be cramped with more people.. Towing weight is probably around 700 lbs.
Racing opportunities are probably limited to PHRF or Portsmouth
Yardstick club races. You mentioned keeping your boat on a trailer at
the lake. You might want to consider what ever is the predominate
sailing dingy on your lake. That would give you an opportunity for some
meaningful inpromptu competition, and somebody with which to exchange
information about rigging, tuning, etc.

A Wayfarer (16') would be a good boat to consider as well, but there
aren't many of them in the south.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Looking for a boat. Have a 2 & 4 year old and a wife. I have some
experience with a Hobie & Sunfish. I have the ASA BKB and BCC
certificates.

I live a mile from Kentucky Lake and can keep the boat at the water on
a trailer with the mast up. Will only go out for a few hours at a
time. I will sail by myself often.

Something I think I would like to do is take the boat to Florida west
coast around Sanibel and visit small islands for shells, picnic, etc.

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

Kevin

Capri 16.5 vs. Flying Scot [email protected] ASA 19 October 13th 06 12:27 PM
Logo contest! Skip Gundlach Cruising 25 June 1st 04 08:56 PM
Comparison: Capri 37, Mumm 36, J-109 N1EE ASA 11 December 4th 03 05:10 AM
FS: Flying Scot sn#2931 1077 in Cincinnati,OH RLSparks Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 05:00 PM