Default End to end short splices...

Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

Do they let old grumpy guys like Tom into the Power & Sail Squadron?

"Don White" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

Do they let old grumpy guys like Tom into the Power & Sail Squadron?

I think so, if he's restrained in a chair with straps and a muzzle.

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:00:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

. ..
Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

Nah - I figured it out eventually - just took a couple of tries.

Seriously, I used to be able to do that by feel only.

Amazing how time flies.

I never learned, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you saw the Rube
Goldberg method I used for assembling my anchor rode, you'd shoot me, and I
wouldn't blame you.

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:57:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

. ..
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:00:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

m...
Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

Nah - I figured it out eventually - just took a couple of tries.

Seriously, I used to be able to do that by feel only.

Amazing how time flies.

I never learned, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you saw the Rube
Goldberg method I used for assembling my anchor rode, you'd shoot me, and
wouldn't blame you.

You used a Surgeon's Knot didn't you?

Worse. A bowline, with the tag end fastened using waxed whipping twine.
Solid, but really ugly.

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:01:36 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

. ..

news:tphsh2pt3bjjuf2dblo8fq4ralgekfomdd@4ax. com...
Used to be I could do this in my sleep.

Now I can't remember how to do a short splice to join two pieces of
rope.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Chapman book?

Nah - I figured it out eventually - just took a couple of tries.

Seriously, I used to be able to do that by feel only.

Amazing how time flies.

I never learned, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you saw the Rube
Goldberg method I used for assembling my anchor rode, you'd shoot me,
and
wouldn't blame you.

You used a Surgeon's Knot didn't you?

Worse. A bowline, with the tag end fastened using waxed whipping twine.
Solid, but really ugly.

Hey, if it works, it works.

I enjoy handiwork which is why I learned as a kid how to do different
splices. My instructor was the charter captain I worked for in high
school - former career Navy Chief/DI and a real expert in marlinspike
seamanship. I helped him splice a two inch steel hawser cable one
time when the mooring company couldn't place his mooring in the harbor
because they were waiting on a replacement cable. :)

I learned a ton of stuff from him that I still use to this day. He
used to tell me that if he couldn't teach a greenie how to do
something, that would be the day he'd retire.

The funny thing was we had a mutual appreciation for learning. He had
a great relationship with the Sea Scout Master who was a former
Coastie Chief/Tug Captain and they'd swap ideas all the time - while I
was listening. :)

The guy was amazing.

Sounds like a fine person. When you stop learning, you're either dead, or
you've become a rock. And, some would say that even rocks learn.