Default Visiting Old Ironsides......what else to do in Boston?

Headed out to Boston/Salem/Topsfield next week.

Will wander around where my Puritan ancestors first set up shop in
America. (ggggggg...Great Grandpa Zaccheus' house is on the national
register of historic places in Topsfield, as is another
gggggggg....grandfather's barn)

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

Since I seldom get back to the right hand side of the country, are
there any other "must sees" during a few days in Boston?

Chuck Gould wrote:
Headed out to Boston/Salem/Topsfield next week.

Will wander around where my Puritan ancestors first set up shop in
America. (ggggggg...Great Grandpa Zaccheus' house is on the national
register of historic places in Topsfield, as is another
gggggggg....grandfather's barn)

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

Since I seldom get back to the right hand side of the country, are
there any other "must sees" during a few days in Boston?

There are still lots of tickets left for tomorrows Rolling Stones
concert in Halifax. (just a little north east of Boston)
http://www.herald.ns.ca/

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Headed out to Boston/Salem/Topsfield next week.

Will wander around where my Puritan ancestors first set up shop in
America. (ggggggg...Great Grandpa Zaccheus' house is on the national
register of historic places in Topsfield, as is another
gggggggg....grandfather's barn)

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

Since I seldom get back to the right hand side of the country, are
there any other "must sees" during a few days in Boston?

The USS Consitution is in Charlestown. If you haven't - take the tour. It
is really interesting and enlightening. Information he

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

I'd recommend spending some time in the Quincy Marketplace area. Stop for
lunch and a brew at the Union Oyster House.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

The USS Consitution is in Charlestown. If you haven't - take the tour.
It is really interesting and enlightening. Information he

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

I'd recommend spending some time in the Quincy Marketplace area. Stop for
lunch and a brew at the Union Oyster House.

Eisboch

Oh ... and hold your breath and wear a hard hat if you drive through any of
the new tunnels in Boston.

(just kidding - the ones you can't use are detoured)

Eisboch

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Headed out to Boston/Salem/Topsfield next week.

If you decide to venture south of Boston .... towards Cape Cod .... let me
know. I'll take you on a quick tour of south coastal comunities, including
Plymouth where you can stand in awe of the famous Plymouth Rock. :-)

Eisboch

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Headed out to Boston/Salem/Topsfield next week.

Will wander around where my Puritan ancestors first set up shop in
America. (ggggggg...Great Grandpa Zaccheus' house is on the national
register of historic places in Topsfield, as is another
gggggggg....grandfather's barn)

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

Since I seldom get back to the right hand side of the country, are
there any other "must sees" during a few days in Boston?

The aquarium's quite nice, although you probably see enough water and fish
already. If there'll be little kids with you, they'll enjoy the indoor tidal
pool, where they can stick their hands in and touch little creatures. Bring
a small towel for their hands. The water's icy cold.

You'll probably want to eat at some point, fussy pain in the ass that you
are. Let's say you and the Mrs. have waited too long to eat, so you're
getting headaches and beginning to argue a little, and you find yourself
standing in front of Legal Seafood, near the aquarium. Locals know lots of
places that are as good, and cheaper. But, if you don't have the patience at
that point to be explorers, just go in and eat. The food's great, the
seafood is really fresh and the place is spotless. www.legalseafood.com
There's a glass display case where you can see some of what's available that
day.

There are two places in Chinatown that specialize in fish: Jumbo Seafood
and East Ocean City. I've been to Jumbo, and it was seriously GOOD. Next
day, it was the Daily Catch (http://www.dailycatch.com/main.html). Hot damn!

Didn't get to these places, but they were recommended by some locals from
another newsgroup:
==================
"- Durgin-Park; loacted at Quincy Market, but was there before the
renovation
and tourists - have chowder, fish or clam, broiled scrod, and Indian pudding
for dessert
- No-Name Restaurant, 15 1/2 Fish Pier. Seafood chowder and broiled scrod

Either or both places will probably have steamed clams as well. Another
local dish to try at D-P is finnan haddie."
==================

Never made it here because maladjusted travel companions wanted to shop
instead, but check this out:

"The centerpiece is the U.S.S. Massachusetts (+1 508 678 1100. Adm. fee),
the 46,000-ton [46,738.2-metric ton] World War II battleship that served as
one of two flagships for Operation Torch, the 1942 invasion of North Africa.
Visitors can spend hours on several decks of the vast ship, climbing into
antiaircraft gun turrets, marveling at the silent strength of the 16-inch
[40.6-cm] guns, and touring the bridge, engine room, and magazines. Also
moored here and open to visitors are the destroyer Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr.,
the submarine Lionfish, and the only two PT boats displayed anywhere."
More info 2/3 down this page:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/de...uth_Shore.html

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

One of the coolest things on Old Ironsides is the bilge pump system that was
operated by two sailors at the end of long handles. When going into battle
they purposely flooded the gun deck with water from the bilge to ensure the
gun powder in the cannons didn't inadvertantly catch the ship on fire.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

One of the coolest things on Old Ironsides is the bilge pump system that
was operated by two sailors at the end of long handles. When going into
battle they purposely flooded the gun deck with water from the bilge to
ensure the gun powder in the cannons didn't inadvertantly catch the ship
on fire.

Eisboch

Amazing idea! I'll keep this in mind next time I'm out fishing.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

One of the coolest things on Old Ironsides is the bilge pump system that
was operated by two sailors at the end of long handles. When going into
battle they purposely flooded the gun deck with water from the bilge to
ensure the gun powder in the cannons didn't inadvertantly catch the ship
on fire.

Eisboch

Amazing idea! I'll keep this in mind next time I'm out fishing.

I am sure your cannons are powerless.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Going to visit Old Ironsides (she's moored in Boston, right?)

One of the coolest things on Old Ironsides is the bilge pump system that
was operated by two sailors at the end of long handles. When going into
battle they purposely flooded the gun deck with water from the bilge to
ensure the gun powder in the cannons didn't inadvertantly catch the ship
on fire.

Eisboch

Amazing idea! I'll keep this in mind next time I'm out fishing.

I am sure your cannons are powerless.

Eisboch

That's not what she said, 38 times yesterday.

my cruise from Boston to Nova Scotia richard Cruising 4 June 3rd 06 12:12 PM
trouble with boston wefax ? purple_stars Cruising 9 May 16th 06 04:46 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Saltwater Boat Group (Boston Whaler, Sea Pro, Sea Boss, and Palmetto) NOYB General 22 January 5th 05 08:37 PM
Trip Report: Boston to Vineyard (Long) Jeff Morris ASA 25 September 3rd 03 06:45 PM