Default MAS vs. WEST SYSTEM

I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about both the
MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:39:56 -0400, "oelf92"
wrote:

I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about both the
MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks

I have some experience with West and at one point in my life, actually
built a small boat using their cold mold system. Worked like a champ.
I know that my dealership uses West System products for all their
'glass work.

Same here. I used it this spring to repair some fiberglass damage and it
worked great.

I use US Composites. Fwiw, west and none of these brands, us
composits included, actually make epoxy. They just package it. Giant
chemical companies like Dupont are the ones that actually make epoxy.
So I shop for price and us composites is far cheapr than west. And I
have used their products on a number of projects and it has performed
well in every case. Dealers of course don't care as much about price
because they just add it to your bill.

wrote:

I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about both the
MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks
I have some experience with West and at one point in my life, actually
built a small boat using their cold mold system. Worked like a champ.
I know that my dealership uses West System products for all their
'glass work.

Same here. I used it this spring to repair some fiberglass damage and it
worked great.

You are paying extra for West Systems vs. generic epoxy, but you know
the different products are all compatible. Unless I was very
knowledgeable about the forumlas I would be hesitant to start combining
fillers and additives from different mfg'ers just to save a few bucks.

All the vendors offer a line of products. The west "system" is just
more marketing hype.

And if you need to thin epoxy to make it penetrate just add a little
alcohol. Don't pay extra for diluted epoxy that is special
"penetrating" epoxy. More marketing bs.

wrote:

I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about both the
MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks
I have some experience with West and at one point in my life, actually
built a small boat using their cold mold system. Worked like a champ.
I know that my dealership uses West System products for all their
'glass work.

Same here. I used it this spring to repair some fiberglass damage and it
worked great.

You are paying extra for West Systems vs. generic epoxy, but you know
the different products are all compatible. Unless I was very
knowledgeable about the forumlas I would be hesitant to start combining
fillers and additives from different mfg'ers just to save a few bucks.

DSK DSK is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
All the vendors offer a line of products. The west "system" is just
more marketing hype.

Yes and no. Are you paying for advertising? Yes. Are you
paying for packaging? Yes, and much of the effort & expense
in that packaging makes the product easier to use. Are you
also paying for a large & knowledgeable customer service
department? Yes. Will they patiently answer all kinds of
questions if you call them up and want a good explanation of
how to accomplish your project better? Yes. Is all that
worth the money? For many people (myself included) yes it is.

So, it's not hype. And besides, Rutan uses it, so it can't
be bad stuff.

And if you need to thin epoxy to make it penetrate just add a little
alcohol. Don't pay extra for diluted epoxy that is special
"penetrating" epoxy. More marketing bs.

I have used acetone for thinning epoxy but not alcohol. Will
try that on some non-critical areas.

I don't use much wood these days, most of my projects are on
fiberglass and/or composites of one type or another. Not
much call for thinned resin there.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Can't say I haven't been there as well. But once I'm familiar with a
technology enough to accomplish my goals I start looking for a cheaper
source and west is close to three times the price of some of these
smaller suppliers. That's a premium I'm not willing to pay.

Acetone works well to. Alcohol is less toxic.

DSK wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

test
"oelf92" wrote in message
I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about both the
MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks

oelf92 wrote:

test
"oelf92" wrote in message
I'm looking for a epoxy resin I have heard some good things about
both the MAS and WEST SYSTEM... Any input? Or just preference?

THanks

Take a look at System 3. I just switched from West System (ran out) for
me System 3 was cheaper and available locally. Clean up is with white
vinager and alcohol. Jim

Can I Use West System Techniques But With System-Three Epoxy and Supplies? [email protected] Boat Building 4 October 4th 05 02:48 AM
Navigating with grains of salt Roger Long Cruising 123 January 27th 05 06:11 PM
Vermon Joe ASA 85 March 6th 04 03:52 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM