Joe

Default Vermon

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

Joe
MSV RedCloud
Peter Wiley

In article , Joe
wrote:

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

Live in Australia.

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

See above.

PDW
Michael

The key word is 'at anchor' when it pertains to critter like rats or
cockaroaches. The primary answer in the warmer climates is never tie up at
a dock or pier, always stay at anchor. The secondary answer is never bring
cardboard boxes on the boat. To be more defninitive I'll put it this way.
Go shopping and buy fresh fruits and vegetables and food in cans. Put them
in string type bags such as those onions come in. For larger items such as
stalks of bananas tie a piece of line around them. Prior to bringing them
aboard dunk the whole lot in the water and let them stay under for no less
than 10 minutes. Then bring them up and take the out of the net bag one at
a time and pass them on board. The banana stalk, should be green, leave
under for no less than 20 minutes. This will take care of the vermin .uh
erh uhh the vermon in fine style. The reason for no cardboard is most of
the items are stored ship's holds and warehouses for quite a while. The
little bugs, cockaroaches especially, lay their eggs in all the little
corrugated folds. You find out about them too late. The reason for not
tying up is . . . .rats climb mooring lines.

Now as to the other sort of vermin that may come aboard? If at anchor a lot
of them aren't tempted. No ready access or more importantly egress. For
those that make it that far the answer is . .I'm not telling. NEVER
advertise what you have until it's all over.

Which reminds me . . .did I ever tell the Rottweiler story?

M.

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Joe
wrote:

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

Live in Australia.

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

See above.

PDW

Scott Vernon

What? Oh!

I have found that the ''Cheese Pedal'' model trap works best. Smoosh the PB
down into the holes , so the mouse has to work some to get it . And set to
a 'hair trigger'.
http://www.victorpest.com/mouse_instructions.htm#Snap: Model M035

Mice made nests in, and chewed my folded sails, stored in the barn.

My boat is always the poorest looking one on the dock, therefore the last
target to thieves.

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
What? Oh!

I have found that the ''Cheese Pedal'' model trap works best. Smoosh the PB
down into the holes , so the mouse has to work some to get it . And set to
a 'hair trigger'.

I have victor type traps, the only thing that looks different is the
pedel has a v notch instead of a rolled up in like the one you showed.

Not a problem anymore, Got him last night on the dock. Used left over
Christmas peanut butter fudge and he got his head crushed in the trap.
He was a big sucker about 11 inches long overall. I'm still going to
keep setting the traps for a few more nights to make sure he had no
friends around.

http://www.victorpest.com/mouse_instructions.htm#Snap: Model M035

Mice made nests in, and chewed my folded sails, stored in the barn.

Did ya get em?

My boat is always the poorest looking one on the dock, therefore the last
target to thieves.

We have a system that is fool proof since we live aboard. You can
buy wireless moation detectors at wally world. No one can walk on our
pier without us knowing. No way to get at it a disarm it without
setting it off.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Joe

wrote:

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

Live in Australia.

Yeah right http://www.doaustralia.com/Readersto...an2001/WA2.jpg

picture of a person feeding a huge rat at rotten nest island. Dutch
sailor names the island it means rat nest.

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

See above.

Yall seem pretty safe in OZ land but you better not go to Indonesian
waters.

Joe

PDW

Joe

"Michael" wrote in message ...
[...]

The ones here just jump on-board. And Ive heard you do not want to
bring paper bags on board for the same reason as boxes.

Now as to the other sort of vermin that may come aboard? If at anchor a lot
of them aren't tempted. No ready access or more importantly egress.

Tell that to Sir Robert Blake.

For
those that make it that far the answer is . .I'm not telling. NEVER
advertise what you have until it's all over.

A few tips, sprinkle thumbtacks on the deck. Put a wireless moation
detector on your wheelhouse, keep a good watch, and be ready to blast
anyone that open your door.

I have moation detectors on the dock that prevent anyone getting on
board that way and a couple hidden on board as second and third
backups. Got them after at one marina I had 3 people board my boat
around 2 am. I thought it was a cat and opened the door to run it off
and there they were. I was naked and did not bring the gun. Slamed
closed the door to get my pistol, and back to wheelhouse in time to
see them running to a waiting car. Called the police but they had
enough time to get away before they got to the marina

wrote:

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

Live in Australia.

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

See above.

PDW

DSK

A very good method of pest control on boats is to flood those difficult to reach
spaces with CO2. Chunks of dry ice or a fire extinguisher will do it. Kills
everything.... so don't overdo it...

DSK

Joe

"Michael"

Which reminds me . . .did I ever tell the Rottweiler story?

Rottweilers are to big for most boats. About as crazy has having a
great dane aboard. An oven sized small alarm dog is best, backed up by
a Colt or a sawed off scatter gun.

J.

wrote:

Damn it! A mouse has invaded my wheelhouse. Last night I found a
potato that a mouse had half eaten. I set the traps with chuncky
peanut butter and the little sucker ate it without setting the traps
off. I heard him scampering across the decks the other night but
thought it was a bird. Tonight I will use sharp chedder cheese in the
rat traps and hope I get em.

Nothing worse than a rat jumping on-board.

Ill take the trash to the dumpster, arm all traps,load the 22 rifle
with a scope and rat shot, put out posion and listen for that pitter
patter of little feet on the deck.

What do you do to prevent rats from boarding?

Live in Australia.

What do you do at anchor to prevent boarders from killing you and
taking your boat?

See above.

PDW

Scott Vernon

"Joe" wrote

I have victor type traps, the only thing that looks different is the
pedel has a v notch instead of a rolled up in like the one you showed.

Yeah, that's what makes the difference, the yellow pedal has holes to smoosh
the PB into. Makes the mouse work to get it out and SLAMMO!!!!

Mice made nests in, and chewed my folded sails, stored in the barn.

Did ya get em?

Them. There is never ONE mouse. Funny part was when I raised the main out
on the water and out flew the nest and 4~6 baby meece. It was funny till I
saw the holes in the sail.