Default Replacing floor board

I have ripped out the floor out of my boat as it was pretty rotted.
Replacing it with plywood is not an issue, should I cover the whole
peice of plywood in fibreglass to stop it from rotting again, or is
there a paint/stain/sealer I can paint the wood with before I carpet it
that would be better and less expensive?

Thanks!

c0d3phr3ak wrote:
I have ripped out the floor out of my boat as it was pretty rotted.
Replacing it with plywood is not an issue, should I cover the whole
peice of plywood in fibreglass to stop it from rotting again, or is
there a paint/stain/sealer I can paint the wood with before I carpet it
that would be better and less expensive?

Thanks!

Use Marine grade plywood and cover it with fiberglass both the top and
bottom of the plywood. Use silicon in all screw holes.

Also I'm not big on marine grade plywood if it is still pine. Marine
grade just means it has no voids. That's pretty important for a
transom or hull but doesn't matter as much for a floor. Given the
choice between a better wood such as fir and marine grade pine ply I
would go with the fir. Pine just rots so easily when it gets wet.
Some people advocate pressure treated but it is difficult to get
anything to bond properly to pressure treated ply.

c0d3phr3ak wrote:
I have ripped out the floor out of my boat as it was pretty rotted.
Replacing it with plywood is not an issue, should I cover the whole
peice of plywood in fibreglass to stop it from rotting again, or is
there a paint/stain/sealer I can paint the wood with before I carpet it
that would be better and less expensive?

Thanks!

"c0d3phr3ak" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have ripped out the floor out of my boat as it was pretty rotted.
Replacing it with plywood is not an issue, should I cover the whole
peice of plywood in fibreglass to stop it from rotting again, or is
there a paint/stain/sealer I can paint the wood with before I carpet it
that would be better and less expensive?

Thanks!

I would go with pressure treated plywood. Try to get it close to dry before
covering it with anything, I have heard it takes a full six months of drying
out before anything will bond with it correctly.
Having said that, I used PT to rebuild a set of seats. I used PT
construction adhesive and it worked great and I did not try to dry it out.
If you don't need the strength or can simply go to a larger size of PT, you
could probably forget the fiberglass. Providing of course that you can get
enough screws in it to prevent it from warping....

gorf wrote:

[...]

Consider HDO (High Density Overlay) outdoor sign material. More expense
than marine ply but totally waterproof. Jim

"James" wrote in message
ink.net...

--

good link on boat-building plywood:
http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/b...g-plywood.html

James wrote:
gorf wrote:

[...]

I've gotten small pieces at a local outdoor sign company. I live in
Idaho and they get their's from Portland, Or. I was told that a 4 X 8
sheet of 3/4" was $115 + shipping. You might run a search for
suppliers. Jim

Yes, a web search brings up a lot of info about it. I agree it looks
like an ideal substitute for regular ply. I didn't have much luck
finding any retail sources on the web, they were all industry or
supplier links. One company was finishing one side of it with various
colors for marine use.