Jim

Default Overheat??

Hello;

I have been using my 1972 50Hp Merc500 all summer with no problems
-except this weekend. After a waterski run we went to restart the
motor and it would not fire, just turned over with no sign of
starting, it sounded like it had no gas. I pumped the bulb until it
was flooded and tried again, after about 45 seconds of cranking it
started and ran fine, went for a short run stopped and started OK.
Went tubing and had the same problem, got it going after much
cranking, when we stopped I went to start it and now the starter spins
but the little gear on top of it does not pop up to engage the
flywheel. I put my hand on starter and it is to hot to touch and then
I put my hand on the cylinders and these are also to hot to touch,
since I have never felt these before I do not know if this is normal,
or if it is over overheating?

Thanks for any help....

Jim

That is the problem, my "pee" stopped about 3 years ago, of course I
took it right in and the tech hooked a gauge up to some spot on the
top of the motor and verified that I was still getting good water
pressure. He said there was a blockage in the pipe and the return was
going out in the exhaust. Not to worry about it and had me feel the
block while it was running, still cool to the touch.

I did take the pipe off right to the block and cleaned it out, as well
as fished as far into the black as could and found no obstructions, so
I continued to use it for the last 3 years with never a problem until
this weekend, the no starting and the jammed starter cog, that is when
I noticed the hot block and hot starter, wondering if was normal to
be to so hot to touch.

Are there any other symptoms I can look for to diagnose overheating,
or maybe the hard start could be bad gas, it was a full tank just
filled.

Thanks

ENGINE OVERHEAT Coff General 2 August 4th 03 11:39 PM
15 HP Johnson overheat Q Joe Here General 8 July 15th 03 03:11 AM