Jim

Default Overheat??

Hello;

I have been using my 1972 50Hp Merc500 all summer with no problems
-except this weekend. After a waterski run we went to restart the
motor and it would not fire, just turned over with no sign of
starting, it sounded like it had no gas. I pumped the bulb until it
was flooded and tried again, after about 45 seconds of cranking it
started and ran fine, went for a short run stopped and started OK.
Went tubing and had the same problem, got it going after much
cranking, when we stopped I went to start it and now the starter spins
but the little gear on top of it does not pop up to engage the
flywheel. I put my hand on starter and it is to hot to touch and then
I put my hand on the cylinders and these are also to hot to touch,
since I have never felt these before I do not know if this is normal,
or if it is over overheating?

Thanks for any help....