Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Advice to new sailors, 1912

Fun thing found in a box of old family keepsakes this evening.

My grandfather graduated from the Royal Hospital School in Greenwich on
May 6, 1912.
(The school was sort of a division of the Royal Naval Academy, but
would accept commoners under special circumstances)

On graduation day he was given a small booklet. It must have meant a
lot to him, (either that or he never really looked at it much), as he
still had it 55 years later when he died and it is in almost mint
condition.

Anyway, in 1912 the graduates of Royal Navy schools were given a
booklet containing the following thoughts:

My boy- you are now about to leave school, and go out into the world,
and I would like you to take with you a few words of acvice and
guidance from one who has served a good many years in that grand
profession in which you are becoming a link. Remember that the strength
of a chain depends upon its weakest link, and make up your mind that
you will not be a weak link.

Do your duty- no matter what it is, great or small, do it honestly,
carefully, and cheerfully.

Be respectful to those put in authority over you, and when your turn
comes to be in authority, have respect for those over whom you have
authority. Be sure that if you do not respect others, no one will
respect you.

Try and always be first- First to man a boat, first to fall in when
duty calls, first to volunteer for a job of work, first always.

Be clean and smart in your appearance; when on shore on leave don't
wear clothing that is not proper uniform, nor wear your uniform in an
improper manner, such as your cap jammed on the back of your head.
Respect the uniform of the King, and it will be respected.

Don't drink- You will find you health better, you brain more clear, and
your pocket more full; if you are tempted to drink more than is good
for you, take the pledge and stick to it; if you have already done so,
don't give it up when temptation comes.

Don't smoke cigarettes, if you smoke, smoke a pipe, it is much better
for you, and cheaper; cigarettes, especially those of the cheaper
description, are really harmful.

Keep your tongue from using foul or profane language, it is not manly,
but shows a small intellect and poor education; avoid those older than
yourself who want to tell you yarns that you know could not be put into
print, who use foul language, who scoff at religion, and those who are
always growling, the constant "growler" is always a "waster". Make pals
with cheery, hard-working lads of your own age.

Try to lead a clean life, never help a woman downward, but, when you
can, give a lift upward.
If you have sisters of your own don't forget it, and behave to all
women as you would like all men to behave to your own sister. And
remember, my boy, that your old shcool looks to you to keep its name
up; be honest, truthful and sober, and then you will be happy, heatlthy
and respected.

Keep the motto in the gymnasium in your heart, "Fear God, Honour the
King."

Now, and in your future I wish you well.

A. Coopersley, Captain R.N. Superintendent

P.s. If unfortunately you are not able to enter the Royal Navy or Royal
Marines, I do not think these few words will come amiss to you and
wherever you go I wish you well.

*******

Some of that is a bit quaint, but much of it is still good advice
today, almost 100 years later.