Default Adding a temp gauge to my dash for 2000 90 HP Merc.

All

How hard would it be to add a H2O temp gauge to the dash for my boat 99
Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 SC with a 2000 90HP Merc.

Also anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to find why the tilt
trim gauge doesn't work.

Fredo

FREDO wrote:
All

How hard would it be to add a H2O temp gauge to the dash for my boat 99
Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 SC with a 2000 90HP Merc.

Also anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to find why the tilt
trim gauge doesn't work.

Fredo

Fredo, an aftermarket temp guage will come with a "paste on" temp
sensor that is secured to a specific location on the motor's head. You
may have to scrape some paint away at the location of the installation.
You route the lead from the sensor is routed to the dash panel, and
connect to the gauge. The guage should have a positive (blade) and
negative (stud/nut) for power, and probably an extra terminal blade for
the lighting control circuit (from the nav/anchor switch or an adjacent
gauge).

I believe some of the newer motors with electronics built in have a
temp sensor as part of the mechanicals, but I don't think that
describes your 90 Merc.

I installed a trim guage on an OMC powered boat last year, and if...a
big if...I recall correctly, the gauge readout is based on varying
resistance (ohms) through the lead wires. You can take a volt-ohmeter
and measure the resistance with the motor in different positions across
the gauge terminals. If the resistance reading doesn't vary, it's
something at the motor, probably the sender, or faulty lead wiring. If
you get variable readings, then the gauge is stuck/malfunctioning.

2 stroke

wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:09:23 GMT, "FREDO" wrote:

All

How hard would it be to add a H2O temp gauge to the dash for my boat 99
Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 SC with a 2000 90HP Merc.

Also anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to find why the tilt
trim gauge doesn't work.

Fredo

Tilt and trim needs a sensor that may not be there.
Is your motor 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
2 strokes usually just put a sensor on the head,
4 strokes have a place for the sensor in the water jacket up near the
thermostat housing. Teleflex has details on their site.
I have also become a believer in water pressure guages. They warn you
something is going south before you start overheating.