Wm. E. Fletcher

Default ? bad temp. gauge

Twin , inboard Mercruisers. Starboard engine temp. gauge goes not
register. Need diagnostic help. Wired in new gauge but does not work.
Is it heat sending unit, gauge, wiring, bad ground, how to determine.
I would appreciate someone's help. thanks, Bill

Peter Bennett

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:23:14 -0400, "Wm. E. Fletcher"
wrote:

Twin , inboard Mercruisers. Starboard engine temp. gauge goes not
register. Need diagnostic help. Wired in new gauge but does not work.
Is it heat sending unit, gauge, wiring, bad ground, how to determine.
I would appreciate someone's help. thanks, Bill

Since you have two identical systems, I'd try swapping wiring between
sides - first at the console, then at the engine, so the starboard
gauge is connected to the port engine sensor, and vice-versa - that
should quickly locate the problem.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

wrote:

Twin , inboard Mercruisers. Starboard engine temp. gauge goes not
register. Need diagnostic help. Wired in new gauge but does not work.
Is it heat sending unit, gauge, wiring, bad ground, how to determine.
I would appreciate someone's help. thanks, Bill

Perhaps before swapping wiring, check the wiring harness. My Volvo
outdrives had a multi-conductor connector on the engine that handled
all wiring to the console. If you can find such a connector,
disconnect it, spray it with T-9, WD-40 or other contact cleaner,
then connect and disconnect it several times, to clean the contacts.
If the contacts get corroded, they will not make contact, and various
strange things may happen (in my case, I sometimes couldn't crank the
engine).

Trim sender help YazFan General 5 May 11th 04 12:58 AM
Hardin Volt Gauge wiring problem fiddler Cruising 6 February 13th 04 02:55 AM
Stuck fuel gauge??? Frank Taylor, Jr. Cruising 1 October 23rd 03 01:04 PM
Stuck Fuel Gauge?? Frank Taylor, Jr. General 2 October 23rd 03 12:54 PM