posted to rec.sport.waterski,rec.boats

Default winterizing an inboard

John Sindell wrote:

In rec.sport.waterski JT wrote:

- Pull impeller, lube with vaseline if good for next season. If you see
visible cracks, buy a new one.

Vaseline on an impeller seems like a bad idea to me.

Astroglide or KY jelly... ?

Rob
posted to rec.sport.waterski,rec.boats
JT JT is offline

"John Sindell" wrote in message
In rec.sport.waterski JT wrote:
- Pull impeller, lube with vaseline if good for next season. If you see
visible cracks, buy a new one.

Vaseline on an impeller seems like a bad idea to me.

Why?

I've had an old impeller lubed with Vaseline in a Ziploc bag, that is still
serviceable in my boat glove box for two years, last look it appeared just
as I left it.

YMMV,
JT

posted to rec.sport.waterski,rec.boats

In rec.sport.waterski JT wrote:
Why?

I thought petroleum products caused rubber to break down - or is that
just latex (as in 'rubbers')?
posted to rec.sport.waterski,rec.boats
JT JT is offline

"John Sindell" wrote in message
In rec.sport.waterski JT wrote:
Why?

I thought petroleum products caused rubber to break down - or is that
just latex (as in 'rubbers')?

Well, if we are talking about impellers, the Vaseline hasn't caused a
problem so far... If we are talking about rubbers, I wouldn't know... Never
tried Vaseline and don't plan on it anytime soon. From my early
recollection, rubbers are are like trying to pick your nose with snowski
gloves on.

There again, YMMV,
JT

posted to rec.sport.waterski,rec.boats

Just use baby powder. It is just Talc powder with fragrance.

I've used that on the rubber seals to my dry suit for the last... OMG 11
years!

The seals are still in great shape. Last year I had to reglue them to the
nylon drysuit, but otherwise still water tight!

Talc is great on rubber.