Default sterndrive water pump w/closed cooling merc engine

I've scoured both Seloc & Clymer service manuals, and done extensive
searches on line, along with discussing this issue with other boaters
with much more experience than I have, but still haven't found a
definitive answer (but, of course, plenty of "opinions" ....

'86 Tiara 2600 w/5.7 merc alpha one, closed cooling system. Since this
engine has a raw water pump, does the pump in the sterndrive serve any
purpose, and do I need to be concerned with maintaining it?

Cheers,
Brian

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've scoured both Seloc & Clymer service manuals, and done extensive
searches on line, along with discussing this issue with other boaters
with much more experience than I have, but still haven't found a
definitive answer (but, of course, plenty of "opinions" ....

'86 Tiara 2600 w/5.7 merc alpha one, closed cooling system. Since this
engine has a raw water pump, does the pump in the sterndrive serve any
purpose, and do I need to be concerned with maintaining it?

Cheers,
Brian

How does the closed cooling heat exchanger get it's cooling water? The
engine pump is just like the one on your car. It circulates the coolant.
The outdrive pump is the same as the air flowing past the radiator (heat
exchanger). You need both, unless you have a jet drive like I do and they
tap off the jet pump for raw cooling water.

Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've scoured both Seloc & Clymer service manuals, and done extensive
searches on line, along with discussing this issue with other boaters
with much more experience than I have, but still haven't found a
definitive answer (but, of course, plenty of "opinions" ....

'86 Tiara 2600 w/5.7 merc alpha one, closed cooling system. Since this
engine has a raw water pump, does the pump in the sterndrive serve any
purpose, and do I need to be concerned with maintaining it?

Cheers,
Brian

Brian,
Here's one more opinion for you.
I believe that, in this application, the stern drive water pump serves no
useful purpose other than to keep the water pump base, which contains oil
seals, in place. You will notice that, where a cooling hose is supposed to
connect to the bell housing, there is a block off plate. There is no place
for the water pump to pump water to. There is no water flow since the output
of the pump is blocked.

Have you heard any reasonable explanations as to what this pump might be
cooling?

Please post them here on this newsgroup.

G'day mate,
Jim