Default Hobe 33 sailboat wanted!!

Looking for a Hobe 33, preferably in Florida. Please email me. Beth

On 3 Aug 2006 14:05:34 -0700, "Beth" wrote:

Looking for a Hobe 33, preferably in Florida. Please email me. Beth

I've been in Florida for three years now and have not seen a single
one. Your best bet is probably in the north east, particularly Long
Island Sound. Try www.yachtworld.com

Are you sure you really want one? No standing head room as I recall,
and performance to windward was always marginal at best.

DSK DSK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
I've been in Florida for three years now and have not seen a single
one. Your best bet is probably in the north east, particularly Long
Island Sound. Try www.yachtworld.com

There's 5 of 'em currently on YW, the closest one to Florida
is in the Caribbean. I guess it's for sale 'cuz they found
out it's not such a fun cruising boat. The Hobie33.com web
site does have one in Texas but it might be an old listing.

Are you sure you really want one? No standing head room as I recall,
and performance to windward was always marginal at best.

Well, they got standing headroom in the cockpit
And they go upwind fairly well, it's just that they go
downwind SO-O much better. All is relative.

My favorite feature of the Hobies with the lift keel is the
way the keel root can't be sealed up and it weeps constantly
if it's not spurting. Makes the cabin nice & cozy.

But they go downwind like double-dammit.

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

Used to be one at the Squadron where we raced. It either won it's
class...or finished in the top 2 or 3. Ii know it snapped it's mast at
least once racing.
DSK DSK is offline

Don White wrote:
Used to be one at the Squadron where we raced. It either won it's
class...or finished in the top 2 or 3. Ii know it snapped it's mast at
least once racing.

I've never sailed one, but raced against them a bunch. My
favorite time was an afternoon of 20 ~ 25 knot winds
offshore with 5 ~ 8 foot waves, many of which were breaking
especially in the current near the inlet. I was sailing
somebody else's Olson 30, another lightweight flyer.

The Hobie gained on us on the upwind leg, partly because we
were overpowered and partly because they had a huge gang of
self-propelled sandbags on the windward rail. When we got
the windward mark they were maybe 200 or 250 yards ahead and
took off like smoke downwind, small spinnaker up.

We set a radial-head spinnaker, probably not the smartest
thing but when we hit 18 knots I said "We're going to catch
up to that Hobie."

The helmsman was a slow learner, plus the Olson has a small
rudder anyway. We broached. A lot. Some were only minor
slews to one side with the spinnaker flogging, but some were
real hair-raising dip-the-mast-in-the-water types.

After one really bad broach in which half the crew was
hanging on under water, we came back right-side up and
everybody took a deep breath then somebody said, "Guess
what, we're not going to catch that Hobie."

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Sailboat project links - Mic Mic Cruising 3 April 19th 06 03:03 PM
Sailboat Restoration - Is it worth it? Boat Building 14 June 13th 04 04:56 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Let there be Nav. Light CANDChelp ASA 76 July 30th 03 03:26 AM