Default How many times.....................

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 01:20:51 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:11:21 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:02:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

We used M14s when I was in basic training back in the 60s. They were
deadly accurate at 300+ yards using the standard iron sights.

Amen! And somewhere around here I've got my Expert Marksmanship Badge to
prove it.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the rifles we used to guard the trash
dumpsters (dipstey-dumpsters)
in the Navy in the late 60's were old M-1s with the firing pin removed.

Honest to pete, this is a true story.

On an op during the first week of the first Tet Offensive, we were
yanked out to move north nearer to Danang and as it happened we were
held at Bien Hoa AFB which was a little west of Long Binh and north of
Saigon.

We were tasked to reinforce the Air Police batallion as there was, in
theory, NVA activity and Bien Hoa had been a target of the VC
offensive - in fact, during the first assault of the Offensive, they
damn near over ran the base. As part of the reinforcement, all Airmen
on the base were to be given M-16s and were sprinkled into the AP and
other combat forces.

No ammo though. Got the guns, no ammo. WTF were these guys supposed
to do with the rifles - club the VC to death? :)

I swear on a stack of bibles that's a true story.

used to exercises with the damn thing and it felt like it weighed 100lbs
after an hour or so.

Got it in one. :)

Probably much safer not to give those Airmen any ammo. Did you make it to
the Special Forces club in Bien Hoa?
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

Calif Bill wrote:

wrote:

We used M14s when I was in basic training back in the 60s. They were
deadly accurate at 300+ yards using the standard iron sights.
Amen! And somewhere around here I've got my Expert Marksmanship Badge to
prove it.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the rifles we used to guard the trash
dumpsters (dipstey-dumpsters)
in the Navy in the late 60's were old M-1s with the firing pin removed.
We used to exercises with the damn thing and it felt like it weighed
100lbs after an hour or so.

Eisboch

Dempster Dumpsters. When I was a youth, one evening at my fathers machine
shop, the original Dempster Dumpster on a truck that they used for demo's
came in for some work. Everybody thought is was a good concept.
Unfortunately, no one bought stock in the company.

I've always heard them referred to as dipstey-dumpsters too.

Calif Bill wrote:

wrote:

We used M14s when I was in basic training back in the 60s. They were
deadly accurate at 300+ yards using the standard iron sights.

Amen! And somewhere around here I've got my Expert Marksmanship Badge to
prove it.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the rifles we used to guard the trash
dumpsters (dipstey-dumpsters)
in the Navy in the late 60's were old M-1s with the firing pin removed.
We used to exercises with the damn thing and it felt like it weighed
100lbs after an hour or so.

Eisboch

Dempster Dumpsters. When I was a youth, one evening at my fathers machine
shop, the original Dempster Dumpster on a truck that they used for demo's
came in for some work. Everybody thought is was a good concept.
Unfortunately, no one bought stock in the company.

There were also Dempsey Dumpsters. Do a google search. Dempster
Dumpsters were made in CA, GA, and Canada. Dempsey was

ACP ACP is offline

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I believe "Dempsey" is an incorrect pronunciation "Dempster" in the context
of Dumpsters and has stuck in some instances.

Calif Bill wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Could well be. I know that you get more google hits for Dempsey than
you do for Dempster.

The intermediate times Wally ASA 1 February 8th 05 01:53 AM
NY Times Endorse Kerry John Gaquin General 8 October 18th 04 05:04 PM
OT - Where is the lie? (especially for jcs) jps General 33 July 28th 03 12:56 AM