posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Inflatable Kayak with mouse eaten hole

I have a Semperit (now Grubner I think) inflatable Kayak which mice chewed
a ~2''x2" hole in on the outside of the kayak.

The kayak is ~20 years old.

The name of the Kayak is "Forelle II". I has the markings "TDP 01.83 MADE
in Austria" on it.
It seems to be made out of a thick rubber of some sort.

I would like to patch it up so I can use it again. Please tell me (If you
can) where I can get the proper patch material. I would be willing to
bring it to someone to repair. I am in Westchester County in New York.

Thanks

Alan
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Haven't patched one, but you might look at the patches that they sell
for those inflatable matresses.
I know my Coleman matress has a large patch that comes with so that
might be a good enough size to cover your hole. As far as material,
not sure if this would work for you or not.

There are glues that basically weld/melt the plastics together
(remember the old model car glue...)...not sure if this is what you'd
want. I'd think you'd want the glue to do the bonding....which I'd
think the matress glue might do.

Anyhow, just posting as I see nobody else hadn't yet!

cheers

Alan Sanders wrote:
I have a Semperit (now Grubner I think) inflatable Kayak which mice chewed
a ~2''x2" hole in on the outside of the kayak.

The kayak is ~20 years old.

The name of the Kayak is "Forelle II". I has the markings "TDP 01.83 MADE
in Austria" on it.
It seems to be made out of a thick rubber of some sort.

I would like to patch it up so I can use it again. Please tell me (If you
can) where I can get the proper patch material. I would be willing to
bring it to someone to repair. I am in Westchester County in New York.

Thanks

Alan

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Alan Sanders wrote:
I have a Semperit (now Grubner I think) inflatable Kayak which mice chewed
a ~2''x2" hole in on the outside of the kayak.

The kayak is ~20 years old.

The name of the Kayak is "Forelle II". I has the markings "TDP 01.83 MADE
in Austria" on it.
It seems to be made out of a thick rubber of some sort.

I would like to patch it up so I can use it again. Please tell me (If you
can) where I can get the proper patch material. I would be willing to
bring it to someone to repair. I am in Westchester County in New York.

Thanks

Alan

Grabner boats are made out of hypalon, a synthetic rubber material, I
believe. You can contact the Boat People, a company that specializes in
Inflatable Kayaks and boats. They can tell you what kind of material
the boat is made and should be able to supply a patch kit also.
www.theboatpeople.com

BTW, don't use the patch kit off the air mattress as suggested. Air
mattresses are generally made out of PVC and do not use the same type
of adhesive as the synthetic rubber products.

Larry