Default older gas cap lock

Greetings group,
Hoping someone out there can help me. I am refitting out an older
(1977 ) Amc crestliner 24 foot i/o. I can not figure out where the
gas shut off is located , and how to remove the gas cap. The key will
unlock the cap but it will not lift or screw off. Before i force and
break something i was hopping someone will remember this type of lock
cap. I can make out part of the name on the cap. It is Per-----. Any
help will be most appricated. Thanks, Herb

Gene Kearns wrote:
On 26 Jul 2006 17:52:38 -0700, hoboherb penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Greetings group,
Hoping someone out there can help me. I am refitting out an older
(1977 ) Amc crestliner 24 foot i/o. I can not figure out where the
gas shut off is located , and how to remove the gas cap. The key will
unlock the cap but it will not lift or screw off. Before i force and
break something i was hopping someone will remember this type of lock
cap. I can make out part of the name on the cap. It is Per-----. Any
help will be most appricated. Thanks, Herb

Probably is a Perko and this might be the model:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi..._type=category
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...2787c1ebf64fa3

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

hoboherb wrote:
Greetings group,
Hoping someone out there can help me. I am refitting out an older
(1977 ) Amc crestliner 24 foot i/o. I can not figure out where the
gas shut off is located , and how to remove the gas cap. The key will
unlock the cap but it will not lift or screw off. Before i force and
break something i was hopping someone will remember this type of lock
cap. I can make out part of the name on the cap. It is Per-----. Any
help will be most appricated. Thanks, Herb

Thanks Gene, That is what it is, a Perko. Do you know if it lifts off
or screws off? I want to remove the old one with out dropping
possible broken pieces into the tank. Thanks again, Herb

"hoboherb" wrote in message
ups.com...

hoboherb wrote:
Greetings group,
Hoping someone out there can help me. I am refitting out an older
(1977 ) Amc crestliner 24 foot i/o. I can not figure out where the
gas shut off is located , and how to remove the gas cap. The key will
unlock the cap but it will not lift or screw off. Before i force and
break something i was hopping someone will remember this type of lock
cap. I can make out part of the name on the cap. It is Per-----. Any
help will be most appricated. Thanks, Herb

Thanks Gene, That is what it is, a Perko. Do you know if it lifts off
or screws off? I want to remove the old one with out dropping
possible broken pieces into the tank. Thanks again, Herb

It screws off. Pull the screws holding the plate to the boat, and undo the
clamps on the fuel hose and remove the whole unit if you can not get it to
screw off. Get a big pair of channel locks and try to unscrew the cap
first. If it is locked, it should only spin, if unlocked, then the cap
should unscrew.