TC

Default Tight trailer hitch, hard to lock on

My trailer hitch has to be greased to slide over the ball (yes they are
the same size). Then it's a real B*%#ch to get the lock to lock. Could
this be due to the fact that the chrome on the ball is gone or could it
be that the trailer tongue lock is set too tight?

TC wrote:
My trailer hitch has to be greased to slide over the ball (yes they are
the same size). Then it's a real B*%#ch to get the lock to lock. Could
this be due to the fact that the chrome on the ball is gone or could it
be that the trailer tongue lock is set too tight?

If it's too tight, there is a nut on the underside that you can loosen.
Check the play in it when it's locked.

Ted

It sounds like it is too tight if it scraped the chrome off. Before I
couple mine, I push the shackle in the coupler back to be sure it
retracted all the way. I end up with greased fingers though.

Denis Roy

A little WD-40 in the latch mechanism can work wonders.

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
"TC" wrote in message
m...
My trailer hitch has to be greased to slide over the ball (yes they are
the same size). Then it's a real B*%#ch to get the lock to lock. Could
this be due to the fact that the chrome on the ball is gone or could it
be that the trailer tongue lock is set too tight?

Bowgus

WD was originally a Water Displacer developed to prevent aircraft parts from
rusting between production and assembly. Versions 1-39 did not workl,
version 40 worked ... WD-40.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
link.net...
WD-40 is a solvent. Get a good lubricant.

Chuck Tribolet

Sure the trailer coupler isn't 1 7/8" and the ball 2"??? 1 7/8" isn't
common,
but it does exist.

Grease on the ball is good -- keeps the coupler from wearing. But it
shouldn't
be a fight to get the coupler to drop over the ball. That's not adjustable.
Either
it's the wrong size or the coupler's bent. I'd find a buddy with a trailer
with the
same size coupler and try sticking your ball into it.

"TC" wrote in message
m...
My trailer hitch has to be greased to slide over the ball (yes they are
the same size). Then it's a real B*%#ch to get the lock to lock. Could
this be due to the fact that the chrome on the ball is gone or could it
be that the trailer tongue lock is set too tight?

Eisboch

Chuck Tribolet wrote in message

Grease on the ball is good -- keeps the coupler from wearing. But it
shouldn't
be a fight to get the coupler to drop over the ball. That's not

adjustable.
Either
it's the wrong size or the coupler's bent. I'd find a buddy with a

trailer
with the
same size coupler and try sticking your ball into it.

Why do I have this faint, far away recollection of being told to never put
grease on a hitch ball? Maybe it was bad advice, but it stuck in my head
for some forgotten reason.

Eisboch

Don White

Eisboch wrote:

Why do I have this faint, far away recollection of being told to never put
grease on a hitch ball? Maybe it was bad advice, but it stuck in my head
for some forgotten reason.

Eisboch

When I was using my old utility trailer, I'd put a bit of vasoline on
my nice stainless steel
ball to protect it fron the old rusty coupler on the trailer.
Boy, did the wife get irritated when she brushed her skirts up against
the mess when I forgot to remove the ball.
Opps..just remembered...I have the drawbar installed now and she goes
grocery shopping early Saturday mornings...
K. Smith

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Sure the trailer coupler isn't 1 7/8" and the ball 2"??? 1 7/8" isn't
common,
but it does exist.

Grease on the ball is good -- keeps the coupler from wearing. But it
shouldn't
be a fight to get the coupler to drop over the ball. That's not adjustable.
Either
it's the wrong size or the coupler's bent. I'd find a buddy with a trailer
with the
same size coupler and try sticking your ball into it.

Ouch; You yanky blokes really are tough:-)

Here's some of Harry's lies for you, just to bring back old

memories:-)

But if I may?? before you read; take a look at these passages from an
article about the bent union rip off, who rip off other unionists,
(honour among .......???)

ULLICO
Union Pension-Owned Company Set to Lose $20-$30 Million
Its stock windfall from the bankrupt Global Crossing now gone,
Georgine, former head of the AFL-CIO's Bldg. &
Construction Trades Dept., blamed chief financial officer John Grelle for
the losses. Days later, Grelle resigned in protest, blasting Georgine for
not selling the company jet, which costs $3 million a year.

N.B. Now did you see that!!!!!??? Harry as you'll see below "claims"
his wife has a corporate jet!!!! He's making these stories up as the
jealous junior mail person in the PR dept!!!!

There was no indication if Grelle also called on Georgine and other union
boss directors of Ullico to return the more than $6 million they made in
inside deals of Ullico stock in 2000 and 2001. In the late 90s, Ullico was
able to buy Global Crossing stock at its initial public offering (IPO)
price. By 1999, a $7.6 million investment had mushroomed to $335 million.
After pricing its own stock at a set $25 per share, Ullico directors changed
the rules, setting a new price at the beginning of each year.

So these rip offs were raking it in at the expense of the workers in
many unions & I'll suggest that the fantasy boats that Harry claims are
HIS OWN are in fact the play things of the execs of the insurance CO, I
also suggest that's his only involvement is as the boat boy for his
union bosses!!!

Global
Crossing spiraled toward bankruptcy, and Ullico's stock took a tumble, the
Ullico directors who had bought their stock at $54 a share were given two
opportunities to sell it back, the first time for $146 a share, the second
time for $75. As Georgine and the other Ullico officials made $6.7 million
in profits, the union pension funds that own Ullico could not take advantage
of the same deal.

And clearly they have a very well practiced liar in the PR dept mail
room to help post out those bogus spin releases:-)

[New York Times 3/28/03]

Anyway back to the lies:-)

Just to make your day, not only was
I a civilian employee in SE Asia, it was in Vietnam, it was

during the
war against Vietnam, I did see some horrific sights and I was
working at
the time for a U.S. general. Is that straightforward enough for you,
John, or is your amoeba still chasing your synapse

m...