posted to alt.sailing

Default Shared Yacht Flotilla in Croatia / Greece

Hi,

We're looking to book a sailing holiday in mid-late September; both I
and my partner have Competent Crew, and want to build our experience,
so we were thinking of joining a flotilla for a week where we could
share a yacht with similar couples.

Unfortunately, it seems we can't find a company with the mix of
ingredients that we want: Sailing Holidays Ltd does one week shares
only in Greece, Activity Yachting doesn't do shares, Neilson require
all sharers to have Day Skipper, etc. etc.

Could anyone suggest any other companies? We don't necessarily have a
huge preference of Croatia over Greece, but I understand it's less
overcrowded, possibly cheaper, and that more of the Greek areas are
prone to strong winds in September.

Thanks!

Damian

posted to alt.sailing

I wouldn't recommend a yacht share for any more than one week, you might not
enjoy the 'holiday' or worse. A better alternative is to hire a skipper for
a week (they are used to living with odd couples too), you can also achieve
an RYA certificate which will leave you in a good position for future
bareboat charter.

Dont let the winds put you off ( it is sailing after all), the flotilla lead
is there for your enjoyment and safety and will advise you on forcasts or
adverse conditions and will say, 'good day to stay in port and drink the
fridge dry' The Setsail flotilla is very informal and would recommend there
way. NB the boats are older then say Sunsail, but you get a dinghy and
outboard and other stuff that the other companies do not give for free.

Try giving John a ring at Setsail 01787 310445 OR

http://www.setsail.co.uk/default.asp...rticle&id=9880

BTW Croatia is not cheap, overnight fees are upto £20 per night although the
scenary is the best.

Pete

"dskeeles" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We're looking to book a sailing holiday in mid-late September; both I
and my partner have Competent Crew, and want to build our experience,
so we were thinking of joining a flotilla for a week where we could
share a yacht with similar couples.

Unfortunately, it seems we can't find a company with the mix of
ingredients that we want: Sailing Holidays Ltd does one week shares
only in Greece, Activity Yachting doesn't do shares, Neilson require
all sharers to have Day Skipper, etc. etc.

Could anyone suggest any other companies? We don't necessarily have a
huge preference of Croatia over Greece, but I understand it's less
overcrowded, possibly cheaper, and that more of the Greek areas are
prone to strong winds in September.

Thanks!

Damian

posted to alt.sailing

Peter Gregory wrote:

Try giving John a ring at Setsail 01787 310445 OR

http://www.setsail.co.uk/default.asp...rticle&id=9880

Thanks Pete.

I did check out Setsail; I think I discounted them because I couldn't
see any options to share a yacht, and the resultant price for a boat to
ourselves was higher than we'd like. I've dropped them a line in any
case, so I'll see if they have any options for us.

Thanks!

Damian

posted to alt.sailing

Just an update: I did speak to John, and he confirmed Setsail don't
provide shared yachts.

Damian