posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default straightening aluminum gunwales?

I just found a very nice Shell Lake cartopper from the 50's or so. While
I'm fixing 50 years of bumps, paint and "regrettable DIY," I was thinking
of removing the gunwales to have them reformed and heat-treated.

Alternatively, I was thinking of replacing all the metal with functionally
equivalent wooden peices.

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

I don't know what a Shell Lake cartopper is, but assuming it's a canoe,
go with the wood. Any competent cabinet shop can run you up a set of
gunwales. Oil them several times with Watco Danish Oil or similar
_before_ you install them. You'll end up with something as functional
as plus much more attractive than aluminum.

Steve

mulroys wrote:
I just found a very nice Shell Lake cartopper from the 50's or so. While
I'm fixing 50 years of bumps, paint and "regrettable DIY," I was thinking
of removing the gunwales to have them reformed and heat-treated.

Alternatively, I was thinking of replacing all the metal with functionally
equivalent wooden peices.

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

It's kind of a Frankenboat. A cross between a square stern canoe and a
rowboat. Very stable and beamy.

I was leaning towards wood. Thanks.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Bob