Default Gasoline prices - another record high/ supply and demand

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Jack Goff" wrote in message

So now the US is an island, insulated from the rest of the world?
Everyone else is "irrelevant"? Really?

So the price is 25 - 35% "trading excess" (cite?), which is the
futures traders as you've said before, right? But then the oil
companies are to blame for the price, not the traders. Uh huh.

CITE: It was provided earlier in this discussion. Use your search feature
find the first message containing "PBS", and read forward from there.

Did the investment company run you off because of customer
complaints,
or did you leave voluntarily?

I banged the manager's wife while his 17 year old daughter videotaped the
whole thing.

And made the manager watch, too, right??!!

Whatever scenario would make jackoff happy. I slit all their throats
afterward, and stole the manager's accounts. Whatever.

Don't think that's good enough for him!

DSK DSK is offline

Default Gasoline prices - gold as a hedge

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
But that's ok because he's a good guy lunatic. :)

Flattery will get you nowhere. But flattery and a good cup
of coffee might... Im easy...

DSK

ACP wrote:
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:03:29 -0400, DSK wrote:

Many people are actually gambling, not investing,

All people investing in stock/bond/commodities are gambling.

It's the nature of the process.

I, on the other hand, never gamble on something I can't put my hands
on. Gave that up right before 9/11. The only stocks I own are IBM
(big dollars - bought really low) and a couple of oil companies.

My new investment strategy is if I can't put my hands on it, I ain't
investing in it.

Real estate - in particular multi-family homes.

Can't go wrong - everybody gotta live somewhere. :)

Just playing a little devils advocate....but real estate has it's ups and
downs also.

As the current real estate "boom" begins to cool off, many people around the
country are going to find themselves upside down with their mortgages.

Real estate is not immune from price depreciation. This is something you or
I have no control over anymore than we do with stocks/bonds/commodities
except the latter are much more liquid, and for that matter can be more
volatile.

In a lot of the real estate markets, the boom is already starting to
cool, and in a lot of markets it's cooled quite a bit.

"ACP" wrote in message

[...]

Real estate is also not liquid. You can step inside the house but try to
convert it to cash when you need it..

Fearing that the market is due for a big adjustment I was able to recently
withdraw a sizeable chunk from our non 401K retirement funds (through my
broker and at his advice) and place them with a highly rated and respected
fund company that gave me a 10% bonus for doing so. I must keep the money
in the account for at least 5 years and I cannot withdraw more than 5% in
any one year without a 15% penalty. The money will be invested as it
normally was in domestic and international stocks and bonds and I will
realize profits from those investments. I can never lose more than what I
initially put into the fund though. As we do not need that money it was a
win-win option for us.

The remaining 35% of our account remains in the market and can be withdrawn
at any time. It, however, is subject to drastic losses if the market turns
south.

If anyone is interested in this option send me an email and I will give you
more specific information on the plan and the company.

DSK DSK is offline

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
All people investing in stock/bond/commodities are gambling.

Not really.

It's the nature of the process.

Depends on how you define the terms, but if there is any
better place to put money you don't want to spend right now
than in well chosen stocks, 150 years of economic history
has failed to uncover it.

I, on the other hand, never gamble on something I can't put my hands
on.

I never gamble, period.

Well, actually, I play nickel ante poker... but that is more
like entertainment that actually pays me a very very small
wage for my time.

... The only stocks I own are IBM
(big dollars - bought really low)

Like around $45/sh?

Big Blue is looking OK right now, although I think their
divesting of money-making divisions is making some people
nervous.

... and a couple of oil companies.

Hard to go wrong there. I expect them to start paying
dividends in oil any day now.

My new investment strategy is if I can't put my hands on it, I ain't
investing in it.

Can you put your hands on applied business technology? Can
you put your hands on an energy distribution network?

Ideas are the most valuable thing of all... well, make that
ideas and hard work... but both are rather slippery to enter
in a spreadsheet.

Real estate - in particular multi-family homes.

Can't go wrong - everybody gotta live somewhere. :)

You heard it here first- real estate across the board is
going to lag inflation for the next few years at least. If
people are paying more for energy, they will of necessity
have less to spend for rent & groceries.

My capital (what of it is not in no-load index funds) gets
invested in business sectors that show high growth in their
lobbying expenditures. It's a cynical outlook, but so far
has paid off... hey I'm in it for the money!

Regards
Doug King

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:59:54 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
t...
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
But that's ok because he's a good guy lunatic. :)

Flattery will get you nowhere. But flattery and a good cup of coffee
might... Im easy...

Slut.

LOL!!

What are YOU laughing at? I hear you can be had for as little as a box of
frozen squid!

DSK DSK is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Depends on what you or your friend mean by "tanks".

Tim wrote:
In general wheen we were talking about the economy "tanking" was in
reference to a reply of the market crash of 1929.

That kind of "tanking"

The market crash of 1987 was actually worse, so that kind of
"tanking" can't really be so bad eh?

What happened in 1929 was not only the loss of capital when
the stock market crashed, but a subsequent & very long
lasting slackening in what's called aggregate demand... the
amount of overall stuff people buy... resulting in every
business' profits drying up. This was followed by the gov't
reducing expenditures to balance the budget because they
were suffering loss of tax revenue... and it was also
worsened by the failure of many many banks.

In fact the bank failure may have been one of the biggest
causes of the ongoing Depression, and one of the things that
could not happen again today, due to the changes in the
structure of the U.S. gov't's finances and national banking
(the Federal Reserve among other things, the F.D.I.C. for
another).

We will have recessions from time to time, followed by
periods of inflation... it's built into the way our economy
is structured and it is part of what prevents another
Depression (at least, that's what economic theorists say now).

If you really want to learn about it, I strongly recommend
Galbraith's book "The Great Crash of '29" which is about the
most entertaining & readable economics book I have ever
seen. But don't let any neo-conservatives see you with it,
they have branded Galbraith a liberal traitor weeny...
probably because he was friends with Wm. F. Buckley...

dang another long post... but at least there's no
politics... well, not much...

DSK

DSK DSK is offline

Just playing a little devils advocate....but real estate has it's ups and
downs also.

HERETIC! BURN HIM!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE, NOW!!!

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Single family homes - you bet.

Multi-family homes - safer than Fort Knox.

Umm, not really.

If you look at the earnings & share pricing of REITs
specializing in attached housing, you'll see it.

.... You will never lose your
money on a rental property.

Hey, that sounds too good to be true! Can I get it in writing?

... You might not appreciate in value to your
liking, but you will make money.

Actually I have a number of friends who have ended up owning
rental property, and found the profits to be irregular
(although very good when they're rolling) and the management
to be a PITA. Going to the sheriff to get a deadbeat tenant
evicted is a bummer, as is re-drywalling & re-flooring a
place that has been trashed.

As the current real estate "boom" begins to cool off, many people around the
country are going to find themselves upside down with their mortgages.

Seeing it now, but again, single family homes with huge mortgages.

Bingo

Pay cash.

If ya got it.

The smart person will always work to get the force of
compound interest working for him, rather than against him,
in any sort of capital endeavor.

Real estate is not immune from price depreciation.

Not true. It's always worth what you paid for it.

Can I get that in writing too?

Actually, Shortwave's point about interest is a good one...
if you take out the interest paid, and the taxes paid... and
the maintenance paid... often you will find that owning
residential property gives only a very modest return even
when prices have seemingly boomed.

Jane Bryan Quinn said it best... the value of a home is to
live in it. Don't look to you house to make you rich.

This is something you or I have no control over anymore than we do
with stocks/bonds/commodities except the latter are much more liquid,
and for that matter can be more volatile.

I don't agree. If you aren't greedy, you will always make money.

If you aren't greedy, why would you be interested in making
money?

It's when you go for the big score, you risk everything.

I never go for the big score. Slow steady wins the race.

Bingo again

Personally, I have shifted more & more of my investments
into "slow & steady" mutual funds, which are diversified
portfolios in the palm of your hand. Obviously some are
better than others, which is why I favor simple & cheap
index funds. There are even bond index funds for income and
for taking skyrocketing stock gains off the table.

Regards
Doug King