Default Interesting new car...

could small boats be next? This thing is cute, goes a long ways, and has a
nice web site. According to today's NYTimes, it'll cost in the $80-100K
range. Who'll be the first?

http://www.teslamotors.com/
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

"JohnH" wrote in message
could small boats be next? This thing is cute, goes a long ways, and has a
nice web site. According to today's NYTimes, it'll cost in the $80-100K
range. Who'll be the first?

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Interesting site and claims, considering they haven't built one yet.
Far be it from me to be cynical, but how, using the best of current battery
technology, can these guys get 250 miles between charges when the best
anybody else can get is 60-100 miles in a much more stripped down and basic
E car? Something does not add up.

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"JohnH" wrote in message
could small boats be next? This thing is cute, goes a long ways, and has
nice web site. According to today's NYTimes, it'll cost in the $80-100K
range. Who'll be the first?

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Interesting site and claims, considering they haven't built one yet.
Far be it from me to be cynical, but how, using the best of current
battery technology, can these guys get 250 miles between charges when the
best anybody else can get is 60-100 miles in a much more stripped down
and basic E car? Something does not add up.

Eisboch

You know, for a guy who formerly was engaged in science and manufacturing,
you sure miss the important stuff. Didn't you look under the hood and
notice the six hamsters hooked up to the crack cocaine pipe?

Is that the secret? I am still trying to figure out why the Li-Ion battery
in my cell phone goes dead after three calls.

Eisboch

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:46:29 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
could small boats be next? This thing is cute, goes a long ways, and has a
nice web site. According to today's NYTimes, it'll cost in the $80-100K
range. Who'll be the first?

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Interesting site and claims, considering they haven't built one yet.
Far be it from me to be cynical, but how, using the best of current battery
technology, can these guys get 250 miles between charges when the best
anybody else can get is 60-100 miles in a much more stripped down and basic
E car? Something does not add up.

Eisboch

Well, the initial info I got came from the NYTimes, so it must be true.

Editorial
Go Speed Racer!

Published: July 23, 2006

Virtue alone will not break the grip that petroleum holds on the automobile
market. That’s why the introduction of a sleek, high-performance roadster
that happens to be electric rather than gasoline-fueled is worth noting.

Tesla Motors, a Silicon Valley start-up, has developed a two-seater that
goes from zero to 60 miles an hour in four seconds, leaving the days of
electric cars as glorified golf carts in the dust. The company seems to
understands what it means to love cars as well as the environment. (On its
Web site, Tesla revels in the power of the car’s acceleration pinning
passengers to their seats.)

With a range of about 250 miles, the Tesla Roadster can go much farther on
a single charge than earlier electric cars. And 150 of those miles cost
about the same as one gallon of gas. But the car itself will not be cheap,
running from $85,000 to $100,000. Rather than a stumbling block in this
case, it’s actually a selling point.

Martin Eberhard, the company’s chief executive, recognizes that new
technologies usually start out as high-end products. He and his team are
making their car the newest hot gadget, a status symbol. If rappers and
football stars buy them, maybe the company can make a dent in the market.

Tesla already has plans for a mainstream vehicle down the road if it can
expand its business. Perhaps this is one area where trickle-down theories
could really work.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:46:29 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
could small boats be next? This thing is cute, goes a long ways, and has a
nice web site. According to today's NYTimes, it'll cost in the $80-100K
range. Who'll be the first?

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Interesting site and claims, considering they haven't built one yet.
Far be it from me to be cynical, but how, using the best of current battery
technology, can these guys get 250 miles between charges when the best
anybody else can get is 60-100 miles in a much more stripped down and basic
E car? Something does not add up.

Eisboch

Here's a little more info on the way he uses batteries:

http://wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,714...?tw=wn_index_1

This article was a referral from the Tesla site. Checking out some of the
other articles may provide more info. 6000+ batteries in the car!
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:46:29 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I noticed they use a two speed transmission, although you don't have to use
first gear. In first gear the regenerative braking system recharges the
batteries at a higher rate than second gear.

My hunch is that the 250 mile range estimate is based on brand new
batteries, driving in first gear only, modest use of the "E" pedal when
accelerating and not exceeding about 15-20 mph. I further speculate that
under more "normal" driving, the range will be less than half of the claim.

Eisboch

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:17:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

I think you should go buy one, let Chuck test it and write it up, and post
the results here. Just remember, you can't trade in the BMW. They don't
take trades.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

"JohnH" wrote in message

I think you should go buy one, let Chuck test it and write it up, and post
the results here. Just remember, you can't trade in the BMW. They don't
take trades.

I noticed that. No matter, I don't want one anyway. I'm saving up for a
Smart Car.

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Eisboch wrote:

Speaking of which (not really), did you get a chance to peruse the
contents of that CD I tucked into your package? Hogan is a master at
explaining the digital game.

I have not, yet. When your package arrived the contents quickly disappeared
into her office area. I've read some of his stuff on some websites.

She is enjoying the camera and already has more accessories for it than I
have for mine, including a flash unit that must weigh 8 lbs. She has a much
better eye for composing a picture than I, so I just watch.

Eisboch

Speaking of new car ideas, I recently watched a show (History Channel, I
think)
of the development of the automobile. The early inventors, including Henry
Ford, never seriously considered gasoline engines initially. The power of
choice in the original car designs was electric (battery).

So now, over a hundred years later, the industry is still trying.

Eisboch.

A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat.... [email protected] General 8 June 16th 06 04:46 AM
Interesting take on 911. Capt. Rob ASA 8 May 6th 06 02:54 AM
Interesting plug for sailing felton ASA 3 March 17th 04 07:29 PM
O.T. Interesting History Lesson RGrew176 General 2 March 2nd 04 07:18 AM