Default Info on renting our our boat

We are finding that we use our 35' Maxum less and less as the season here in
Maine is so short and we have so many things we love to do. But we really
don't want to sell her. Does anyone have any good information on the
logistics of renting out a personal boat? Obviously we would want to insure
it to the nines, but other than that, how do you have people prove they are
capable of handling a boat this size? Is there a network of rentals (such
as there are for people renting out vacation homes?) Any websites that
discuss the pros and cons of attempting this?
Thanks
Momma in Maine

"Everyboysmomma" wrote in message
We are finding that we use our 35' Maxum less and less as the season here
in Maine is so short and we have so many things we love to do. But we
really don't want to sell her. Does anyone have any good information on
the logistics of renting out a personal boat? Obviously we would want to
insure it to the nines, but other than that, how do you have people prove
they are capable of handling a boat this size? Is there a network of
rentals (such as there are for people renting out vacation homes?) Any
websites that discuss the pros and cons of attempting this?
Thanks
Momma in Maine

A word to the wise. Don't do it. I doubt your insurance company will let
you do it so it may be a dead issue.

"Everyboysmomma" wrote in message
We are finding that we use our 35' Maxum less and less as the season here
in Maine is so short and we have so many things we love to do. But we
really don't want to sell her. Does anyone have any good information on
the logistics of renting out a personal boat? Obviously we would want to
insure it to the nines, but other than that, how do you have people prove
they are capable of handling a boat this size? Is there a network of
rentals (such as there are for people renting out vacation homes?) Any
websites that discuss the pros and cons of attempting this?
Thanks
Momma in Maine

I would read the first paragraph of the post:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eisboch

Everyboysmomma wrote:
We are finding that we use our 35' Maxum less and less as the season here in
Maine is so short and we have so many things we love to do. But we really
don't want to sell her. Does anyone have any good information on the
logistics of renting out a personal boat? Obviously we would want to insure
it to the nines, but other than that, how do you have people prove they are
capable of handling a boat this size? Is there a network of rentals (such
as there are for people renting out vacation homes?) Any websites that
discuss the pros and cons of attempting this?
Thanks
Momma in Maine

You don't really want to just "rent it out", but you might do well
putting it in charter.

Call one of the larger charter operators in Maine and ask about placing
your boat in their program. The charter company will check out the
prospective renters, etc. Yes, there is some risk with this but a lot
less risk than if you just hang out a sign that says "boat for rent"
and see who might happen along.

My guess is that you will probably be able to get about $100/foot/week
and the charter company will take 15-20% off the top.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

My guess is that you will probably be able to get about $100/foot/week
and the charter company will take 15-20% off the top.

Which should just about take care of the additional charter policy insurance
premiums.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

My guess is that you will probably be able to get about $100/foot/week
and the charter company will take 15-20% off the top.

Which should just about take care of the additional charter policy insurance
premiums.

Eisboch

You think a charter rider will run about $12,000.00 a month?

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eisboch wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

My guess is that you will probably be able to get about $100/foot/week
and the charter company will take 15-20% off the top.

Which should just about take care of the additional charter policy
insurance
premiums.

Eisboch

You think a charter rider will run about $12,000.00 a month?

No, but I doubt any boat would be chartered anywhere near 100 percent of the
time.
The insurance underwriters that I talked to limited the number of charters
you could do, otherwise the premiums just went through the roof. I've
forgotten the numbers, but a few years ago I got insurance for a limited
number of charters. My annual premiums tripled.

I've become aware of the logs that some people keep to get around this ...
sorta like keeping two sets of books.

Eisboch

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

BTW ... How did your refurbishment "sea trial" go?

Maybe you posted some info and I missed it. I've not been paying a lot of
attention to all the posts here lately.

Eisboch

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM