Default What kind of small craft would fit this need?

Can anyone advise on small craft?

I regularly need to cross what is to all intents and purposes, a lake
of about 4 miles in each direction. I also need to venture along
inshore waters of the sea coast, in calm weather.

I need something that I can lift onto the top of my car,
single-handed, and portage single-handed from my car to the water. I
can usually park within 30 yards of the water. I guess the maximum
length of boat I can carry on my small car is about 16ft, and the
maximum beam about 36".

I've tried using a 14-foot 60-lb Canadian-style flat-bottom canoe,
which serves well in calm conditions. I like it because I can stow a
lot of gear in it, or take another person along.

Unfortunately, the canoe feels unsafe when encountering the waves
higher than about 18", even when encountered head-on. The waves caused
by power boats are a particular hazard. I haven't been swamped yet,
but I feel it's been a close call on several occasions.

A sea kayak would be another option. However, I'm not keen on kayaks.
The storage space is much more limited, and I'd really like a boat
that I can attach a small outboard motor to. I find kayaks
uncomfortable too. I'm no youngster, so getting in and out of them is
a chore for me, and I like a boat that allows me to shift postition on
a long trip. And, unless it's a two-seater, I can't take another
person on board.

Is there any other kind of small boat that might serve my needs?

Thank you,

Al Deveron

I'd get a trailer with rollers, and a small aluminum boat (14' or so)
and outboard (9.9 or so maybe). My experience ... it was way more work
to cartop my canoe than to trailer my 19' I/O.

On 3 Jul 2006 06:34:11 -0700, "bowgus" wrote:

I'd get a trailer with rollers, and a small aluminum boat (14' or so)
and outboard (9.9 or so maybe). My experience ... it was way more work
to cartop my canoe than to trailer my 19' I/O.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to
keep a trailer. Hence the need for car-top transportation.

Al D

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:06:38 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

How about a 10 ft inflatable with up to 8 hp engine.

Hi Jim,

What kind of inflatable boat?

I did consider an inflatable canoe at one time, but the beaches where
I need to drag the boat ashore mostly consist of sharp stones, so I
was concerned about getting punctures at inconvenient moments.

Cheers,

Al D

I agree, I don't feel safe in an inflatable either. I have a 14 ft
aluminum, with a 9.9 outboard, and it's heavier than I'd like. Dad
used to have a 2 or 3 horse on his 14" aluminum, and he'd load it in
the back of his truck if he wanted. I have a small fiberglass that's
about 4" long, hand made. Perhaps someone could make you a dingy to
fit.
Adrianne

On 3 Jul 2006 12:00:49 -0700, "Adrianne" wrote:

I agree, I don't feel safe in an inflatable either. I have a 14 ft
aluminum, with a 9.9 outboard, and it's heavier than I'd like. Dad
used to have a 2 or 3 horse on his 14" aluminum, and he'd load it in
the back of his truck if he wanted. I have a small fiberglass that's
about 4" long, hand made. Perhaps someone could make you a dingy to
fit.
Adrianne

I have a 2hp outboar motor which I use on my canoe. It would be nice
if I can use the same motor on the next boat.

The main problem with the canoe (as far as I can tell) is the flat
bottom and the low gunwales. Those features seem to make it unsuited
to the choppy waters I frequently encounter.

I'd like to get something that my 2hp motor will be adequate for. I
was thinking perhaps a sailing dinghy hull (without the mast and
sails...)

Al Deveron

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:48:52 +0100, Al Deveron
wrote:

I was thinking perhaps a sailing dinghy hull (without the mast and
sails...)

On second thoughts, that would be unsuitable, because of the keel. I
need something with a very shallow draught, for *very* shallow waters.

Al Deveron

Al Deveron wrote:

On 3 Jul 2006 06:34:11 -0700, "bowgus" wrote:

I'd get a trailer with rollers, and a small aluminum boat (14' or so)
and outboard (9.9 or so maybe). My experience ... it was way more work
to cartop my canoe than to trailer my 19' I/O.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to
keep a trailer. Hence the need for car-top transportation.

Al D

What happened to your canoe?

Dan

Al Deveron wrote:

[...]

You aren't looking to fish from this rig, right?