Ignoramus6056

Default Raytheon radar specs (bad ass radars)

I am a surprised winner of this auction lot.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=883631

Seems to be really nice, high power stuff, never used. Radar domes,
radar "arrays" (6 foot pieces), displays, etc. Three sets and some
extras.

Does anyone have any specs on them?

Are they for open sea only? Am I allowed to use one on Lake Michigan?

They are for big boats, right? Their multiple kW rating seems to
suggest that I cannot use them with just a Mercruiser alternator.

What it boils down to is this: I can either sell all of them, or sell
two sets and keep one. I have a 21 foot boat powered by a Mercruiser
228 I/O motor. Would be cool to have a radar array, but, I doubt that
I can actually use it, hence my question.

Thanks

Jim

Ignoramus6056 wrote:
I am a surprised winner of this auction lot.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=883631

Seems to be really nice, high power stuff, never used. Radar domes,
radar "arrays" (6 foot pieces), displays, etc. Three sets and some
extras.

Does anyone have any specs on them?

Are they for open sea only? Am I allowed to use one on Lake Michigan?

They are for big boats, right? Their multiple kW rating seems to
suggest that I cannot use them with just a Mercruiser alternator.

What it boils down to is this: I can either sell all of them, or sell
two sets and keep one. I have a 21 foot boat powered by a Mercruiser
228 I/O motor. Would be cool to have a radar array, but, I doubt that
I can actually use it, hence my question.

Thanks

That's the unit (41x) that I have on my boat. 48 mile. It's a great
radar. It's a radar like all the rest. It'll work anywhere.

A big radar for a 21 foot boat. It will work on any 12 volt system.
I'd definitely buy one if I didn't already have one.

There was an article in a magazine 3 or so years ago that profiled the
coast Guard 41 foot rescue boat. That's the radar they use.

When I had it serviced the technician went on and on about the quality
and what a good unit it is.

I'm sure everyone wants a screen that takes less room and has a color
display.

I'm very happy with mine.

Ignoramus6056

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:09:45 GMT, Jim wrote:
Ignoramus6056 wrote:
[...]

That's very nice to know. My issue is that I am sure that my
alternator cannot supply 2.4 kW or whatever -- can I "turn the volume
down"?

coast Guard 41 foot rescue boat. That's the radar they use.

When I had it serviced the technician went on and on about the quality
and what a good unit it is.

I'm sure everyone wants a screen that takes less room and has a color
display.

I'm very happy with mine.

Thank you. I am very happy with that lot, maybe I can keep one set for my boat.

Eisboch

"Ignoramus6056" wrote in message

Thank you. I am very happy with that lot, maybe I can keep one set for my
boat.

If you do, try this someday when you are out cruising and T'storms are
forecast. Put the range out to max. If there are storms around, you will
clearly see the cells and which way they are heading.

Eisboch

Ignoramus6056

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:45:32 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

"Ignoramus6056" wrote in message

Thank you. I am very happy with that lot, maybe I can keep one set for my
boat.

If you do, try this someday when you are out cruising and T'storms are
forecast. Put the range out to max. If there are storms around, you will
clearly see the cells and which way they are heading.

That's great. I will definitely try that.

Eisboch

"Jim" wrote in message
k.net...

That's the unit (41x) that I have on my boat. 48 mile. It's a great
radar. It's a radar like all the rest. It'll work anywhere.

A big radar for a 21 foot boat. It will work on any 12 volt system. I'd
definitely buy one if I didn't already have one.

There was an article in a magazine 3 or so years ago that profiled the
coast Guard 41 foot rescue boat. That's the radar they use.

When I had it serviced the technician went on and on about the quality and
what a good unit it is.

I'm sure everyone wants a screen that takes less room and has a color
display.

I'm very happy with mine.

Ditto here. I've got the same (or very similar) 4kw system on the
Navigator.

I had a 6kw Furuno system on the Egg Harbor that had an advertised 60 mile
range. Both Raytheon and Furuno are excellent. Of the two, I prefer the
Raytheon system only because it seemed easier to use and more intuitive than
the Furuno, particularly when combined with a GPS chartplotter and depth
finder.

One thing I wish people would do though. Remember to turn the radar off, or
put in standby when entering a harbor with lots of other boats and buildings
around. Last weekend I watched a 40' SeaRay back into a slip right in front
of my boat. The owner tied up, hooked up shore power and then proceeded to
hook up a hose and spent a half hour rinsing the boat off ... all the time
with the radar array spinning away, only 20 feet or so from other boats with
people on them.

Eisboch

Ignoramus6056

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:31:41 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

I am glad to hear that it is good stuff. Yes, radiating kilowatts of
anything is a bad idea near others.

Radar and MAC mortond Electronics 8 June 3rd 06 10:26 PM
Radar Arch and bow sprit photo essay design -Mic Mic Cruising 0 March 31st 06 07:51 PM
Radar Question Thomas Wentworth Cruising 9 February 6th 06 09:04 PM
Going RADAR! Lloyd General 12 November 21st 05 06:14 PM
Raytheon FF L470 / Humminbird 200 dx transducer swap. RichG Electronics 3 November 1st 05 11:04 PM