RichG

Default Raytheon FF L470 / Humminbird 200 dx transducer swap.

I purchased a boat equipped with a Raytheon Fishfinder L470. The Raytheon
has a cracked case. It fogs and is worthless. I own a Humminbird 200 dx
without a transducer. I'd like to just leave the Raytheon T'ducer in place
and cut and re-connect the t'ducer cable if at all possible.

The mounting for the t'ducer is on the transom. I am not particularly
worried if I get a slightly poorer signal, since I mostly use the unit as a
depth finder only. My usual waters are only 10 to 20 feet deep.

Can this be done? I pulled the cables apart. The Raytheon has
white/yellow/blue/black wires and a shielded cable. The Humminbird is
looking for only two connections.

Any help much appreciated.

p.s. I know I just go buy another t'ducer for the hummingbird, but I'd like
to use what I have and not disturb the transom mounting presently on the
boat. I also know that many consider Humminbird to be "bottom of the line"
( so do I ) but I only need a modest depth finder function.

thanks RichG TX

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Look up details about the Raytheon fishfinder first. Usually, the
transducer only needs a twisted pair with a shield. Chances are your
Ratheon unit also has some signals in there for temperature sensor or
speed. Chances are if you get the right signals connected then it will
work. This all assumes that the both units are 200khz and one is not
50khz. Some humminbirds were not twisted pair shielded but coax so
that could be a problem too although you could gnd one of the twisted
pair and have the humminbird drive it single ended with the coax cable.
If you're not concerned with sensistivity then it may work ok.

good luck.

Don

Lynn Coffelt

Well, this URL is for finding the original (Raytheon) transducer wiring
diagram) at the connector end.
http://raymarine.com/raymarine/Submi...inders/465.pdf
It looks like the wires that went to pins one and two of the connector are
the depth reading part of the transducer. The two wires that went to those
pins are the ones you need to connect to the Humminbird.
Both of the instruments you mentioned are the so-called "dual
frequency" design. Humminbird uses a sort of freaky low frequency, but the
Raytheon uses an almost standard 200/50 Khz set of frequencies. The
Humminbird's 200/83 Khz set is probably close enough to work at least with
the 200 frequency. Which is not too bad for shallow water and smaller fish.
Hey! Give it a try, all it can do is smoke!

Old Chief Lynn