Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bill

Default Replacing Stringers on 14' Runabout

Hi all - first time lurker, first time poster..

I bought a 14' 65 horse runabout knowing that the floor was completely
rotten. I removed the floor and the stringers. I bought a sheet of 3/4
marine ply and began replacing the stringers. I have two questions:

1) there is a section in the middle of the boat where the floor "dips".
It looks like it's designed this way, but it will call for some
creative sawing on the replacement stringers. Unfortunately the
stringers I removed were total mush and I couldn't use them for
templates. Is it possible that sitting on the trailer with rotten
stringers has caused the boat to sag? There are no chips or cracks on
the bottom. It COULD be that it's designed this way, but it seems like
water would collect there.

2) I was planning on wrapping the stringer in glass mat and epoxying
before placing the stringer into the channel - is this the right way to
do it?

Thanks for any help.

Bill