matthew

Default Marina outboard burning stator assenbly coil.

I bought a 6 hp marina out board used .wen I got it wont start ,I
traced the problem to the stator assembly .I got a new one and it burnt
it out in 3 hours of running and about 10 starts and shutdowns. any one
knows what would cause that and how to fix it ?

Clams Canino

Assuming the wiring is OK, AND assuming you didn't happen to buy a bum
stator new... then the next component down the line, in this case the
switchbox, becomes a likely suspect for killing it.

-W

"matthew" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a 6 hp marina out board used .wen I got it wont start ,I
traced the problem to the stator assembly .I got a new one and it burnt
it out in 3 hours of running and about 10 starts and shutdowns. any one
knows what would cause that and how to fix it ?

The only other thing I can think of is running with a bogus battery,
that may have power to start the engine just fine. But some batteries
won't accept a full charge. a week cell might not hurt the starter's
cranking ability, but make the regulation system run wide open, causing
the Stator to over heat, then. *poof* "she be gone... Just my
recomendation...have your battery charged on a slow trickle (2a.
overnight) then professionally tested, for gravity as well as load...

Clams Canino wrote:
Assuming the wiring is OK, AND assuming you didn't happen to buy a bum
stator new... then the next component down the line, in this case the
switchbox, becomes a likely suspect for killing it.

-W

"matthew" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a 6 hp marina out board used .wen I got it wont start ,I
traced the problem to the stator assembly .I got a new one and it burnt
it out in 3 hours of running and about 10 starts and shutdowns. any one
knows what would cause that and how to fix it ?

Steve P

Replace the rectifier. Here is a site with some troubleshooting tips.

http://www.outboardparts.com/mercury...eshooting2.htm

oups.com...
Clams Canino wrote:
Assuming the wiring is OK, AND assuming you didn't happen to buy a bum
stator new... then the next component down the line, in this case the
switchbox, becomes a likely suspect for killing it.

-W

oups.com...