240sport

Default Bravo 1 alignment

I removed the drive from my Baja 240 sport for servicing, which
included painting, new bellows and new gimbal bearing. The outdrive
seemed to come off fine but it won't go back on as fine.
The horizontal alignment I've adjusted by lossening the front engine
mounts, lifting the engine with a hoist and then adjusting the nuts on
each mount. I've raised the engine about 1/2".
Now the vertical is off about an 1/8th of an inch toward the Starboard
side. Tried to put the drive on (gently) but it won't go, as
expected. So, question is, how do you adjust for this?
Has anyone run into this. ps I'm using my own homemade alignment
bar. I insert it into the spline and then observe its location within
the gimbal bearing. Help me please before the summer's over!!!

Jim

The tool goes in from the rear thru the gimbal into the engine coupler. You
have to take the drive off to do this. Grease the tool before inserting
straight into the coupler. (no twisting). Pull the tool straight out (no
twisting). The spline marks on the tool will tell you which way to move the
engine.
Jim

"240sport" wrote in message
oups.com...
I removed the drive from my Baja 240 sport for servicing, which
included painting, new bellows and new gimbal bearing. The outdrive
seemed to come off fine but it won't go back on as fine.
The horizontal alignment I've adjusted by lossening the front engine
mounts, lifting the engine with a hoist and then adjusting the nuts on
each mount. I've raised the engine about 1/2".
Now the vertical is off about an 1/8th of an inch toward the Starboard
side. Tried to put the drive on (gently) but it won't go, as
expected. So, question is, how do you adjust for this?
Has anyone run into this. ps I'm using my own homemade alignment
bar. I insert it into the spline and then observe its location within
the gimbal bearing. Help me please before the summer's over!!!

Jim

Nope. The rear isn't adjustable.
oups.com...
Jim wrote:
The tool goes in from the rear thru the gimbal into the engine coupler.
You
have to take the drive off to do this. Grease the tool before inserting
straight into the coupler. (no twisting). Pull the tool straight out (no
twisting). The spline marks on the tool will tell you which way to move
the
engine.
Jim

"240sport" wrote in message
oups.com...
I removed the drive from my Baja 240 sport for servicing, which
included painting, new bellows and new gimbal bearing. The outdrive
seemed to come off fine but it won't go back on as fine.
The horizontal alignment I've adjusted by lossening the front engine
mounts, lifting the engine with a hoist and then adjusting the nuts on
each mount. I've raised the engine about 1/2".
Now the vertical is off about an 1/8th of an inch toward the Starboard
side. Tried to put the drive on (gently) but it won't go, as
expected. So, question is, how do you adjust for this?
Has anyone run into this. ps I'm using my own homemade alignment
bar. I insert it into the spline and then observe its location within
the gimbal bearing. Help me please before the summer's over!!!

Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Boat Building 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
hobi bravo paul bodley General 1 December 15th 05 02:08 PM
has anyone ever used a scan tool on a Merc' 350 magnum bravo lll ? Electraglide Cruising 0 October 10th 05 01:15 AM