Clams Canino

Default GPS auto-pilot steering exist???

GPS with servo motor to retro-fit "normal" teleflex steering wheels.

Object is to troll the boat to destination and mark your waypoints on the
GPS - next time you leave the dock and tell it where to go - it just
autosteers the way points and beeps at you when it's almost destinated.

So.. does it exist??

-W

Eisboch

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
ink.net...
GPS with servo motor to retro-fit "normal" teleflex steering wheels.

Object is to troll the boat to destination and mark your waypoints on the
GPS - next time you leave the dock and tell it where to go - it just
autosteers the way points and beeps at you when it's almost destinated.

So.. does it exist??

-W

If I understand your question correctly .... yes. My boat has hydraulic
steering and the unit controlled by the autopilot was added during
outfitting. When using the autopilot, the helm is disconnected from the
rudders and just spins if you turn it.

The auto pilot I use will automatically steer a course or steer from
waypoint to waypoint and alerts you when you have arrived at them. I don't
know about marking your waypoints as you go and then saving them as a
"trip". I've never tried that. I normally program all the waypoints and
trip segments before getting underway. Once stored, they can be used for
future trips.

Eisboch

www.eisboch.com

Wayne.B

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 06:46:26 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

GPS with servo motor to retro-fit "normal" teleflex steering wheels.

The electronic portion is easy, the challenge is with the mechanical
interface. Autopilots typically use either a hydraulic pump actuator
or a ram arm (linear drive) which can be electric or self contained
hydraulic. The linear drive normally connects to the steering
quadrant on top of the rudder post but I see no reason why it could
not be coupled to an outboard motor.

Probably the right way to do this would be to parallel the teleflex
actuator at the motor with the autopilot ram arm .

http://www.simradusa.net/index.php?o... 55&Itemid=92

I'd give Simrad technical support a call and ask them.