RCE

Default E-Tec problems series 1

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:52:32 -0400, RCE penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Water vapor is the same. The rest of the gases (particularly nitrogen,
which makes up most of the atmosphere) suck up the water vapor and we call
it humidity. (water vapor also won't compress)

RCE

Eisboch,

"the gases suck up the water vapor"

"water vapor also won't compress"

That is the weirdest science I have ever read in my entire life!

Heh. I suppose the "sucks up" is a stupid way to put it. However, a dry gas
will "absorb" water vapor. In the vacuum industry we routinely backfill a
vacuum chamber with dry nitrogen in order to absorb residual water vapor
from internal components of the chamber. Residual water vapor clinging to
components and the stainless steel chamber walls is the bane of vacuum
chamber processes and can create variations in the results of thin film
deposition. The water vapor adheres due to the "Vanderwalls effect" and
often heat or another form of energy (UV radiation) is required to release
water vapor molecules to be pumped by the chamber vacuum pump systems. Dry
nitrogen is often used to at least partially vent a chamber to minimize the
amount of water vapor to the chamber walls and internals.

Ever try to buy a bottle of compressed "water vapor"? If you can find it,
I'll buy it.

But, I agree with you. After 30 years in the high vacuum systems business,
it *is* a weird science, but one that routinely deals with vapor pressures
of solids, liquids and .... water vapor.

RCE (Eisboch)

www.eisboch.com

thunder

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:42:29 -0400, RCE wrote:

Ever try to buy a bottle of compressed "water vapor"? If you can find it,
I'll buy it.

I think Poland Springs sells them. ;-)
RCE

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:42:29 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

RCE (Eisboch)

www.eisboch.com

Kewl site man - good job.

Although you might want to down size things a little - don't know what
you are using for a web editor though so I can't offer advice.

Thanks for the feedback. I had the pages set to 1400 wide that may be too
wide for some monitors. I have reset them to 1200.

The software is "PageBuilder" on Yahoo GeoCities. It's a java based program
that is really simple to use and does not reside in your computer ... you
use it on line. It has to be simple given the fact that even I figured it
out in a half hour or so.

I also removed the sound files from two of the pages as they were causing an
"Active X" prompt on some computers.
It didn't on mine, but did on Mrs. E's. Both laptops are the same, except
she has the media enhanced version and I have the basic HP Pavilion zd8000.

RCE

www.eisboch.com

RCE

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:51:55 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

. ..
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:42:29 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

RCE (Eisboch)

www.eisboch.com

Kewl site man - good job.

Although you might want to down size things a little - don't know what
you are using for a web editor though so I can't offer advice.

Thanks for the feedback. I had the pages set to 1400 wide that may be too
wide for some monitors. I have reset them to 1200.

It just seemed a little wide. Then again, I set mine for my monitor
here in the office and when I looked at it on another machine the
other day - eeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!

I need to work on that this winter.

The software is "PageBuilder" on Yahoo GeoCities. It's a java based
program
that is really simple to use and does not reside in your computer ... you
use it on line. It has to be simple given the fact that even I figured
it
out in a half hour or so.

I've tried that - works fairly good. I've been using Namo Web Editor
6 which seems to be a fairly decent editor - has WYSIWYG editor, html
editor, combo editor and a fairly decent web graphics program.

I also removed the sound files from two of the pages as they were causing
an
"Active X" prompt on some computers.
It didn't on mine, but did on Mrs. E's. Both laptops are the same, except
she has the media enhanced version and I have the basic HP Pavilion
zd8000.

I've found the problem with sound is, if you are like me that is, you
have music playing on the computer, or in my case WEEI in Boston
playing in the background and when you click on a page, up pops the
"other" music and you spend time searching around for the off - can't
find it, yada, yada, yada...

And, as you discovered, there is the activex problem.

However, I like the page - especially Sam's page.

Gotta love dogs.

I haven't played with website building since back in the days of the
original "Boats of rec.boats". I remember doing that one using a word
processing program and everything was in HTML code. It got to be a real
pain and confusing as the site grew. I was amazed at the ease of doing it
now, years later, using a program like PageBuilder. No html codes to deal
with ... it does everything for you. GeoCities even registers the domain
name for you. The "free" website hosting that they offer is very limited in
terms of bandwidth usage, plus they put their advertisements on it. I
elected to go for the "Pro" option that offers more space and bandwidth
usage than I'll ever use and it's only $8.95 a month.

RCE

www.eisboch.com

Del Cecchi

RCE wrote:
"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

"RCE" wrote in message
om...

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:00:14 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Butch Davis wrote:

There is a difference between a gas and a vapor? I thought there were
liguids, fluids, and gases. Fluids covering both bases? But with a
refrigeration background my thoughts are probably too simplistic.
Butch

It's been a while since I took a chem course, but I thought gases are
normally in that state, while vapors arise from liquids. Gasoline, for
example, is normally a liquid, but it releases vapors.

Technically, gases expand and contract under pressure and spread
uniformly through a cylinder. Vapors don't do that.

Water vapor is the same. The rest of the gases (particularly nitrogen,
which makes up most of the atmosphere) suck up the water vapor and we
call it humidity. (water vapor also won't compress)

RCE

www.eisboch.com

Where did you guys study physics? I really want to know so my grandkids
don't go there by accident.

del

Before I answer, please explain what bothers you about my statement. Is it
that water vapor does not compress? Or that humidity is not a function of
the amount of water vapor held by the various gases in the atmosphere?

Inquiring minds want to know .... :-)

RCE

www.eisboch.com

The "water vapor does not compress" and the idea that there is some
other state other than solid liquid or gas called "vapor" which sounds
sort of like an aerosol or something. What exactly is this "vapor" that
doesn't spread and is incompressable?

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Del Cecchi

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

wrote:

Butch Davis wrote:

[...]

Probably the same place you did - we just didn't sleep through it.

Your physics class covered "vapor" where "Technically, gases expand and
contract under pressure and spread uniformly through a cylinder. Vapors
don't do that."?

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
strategies or opinions.”
Wayne.B

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:05:33 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

No, but I've seen water vapor that was compressed perform work.....
http://tinyurl.com/jtwls

Steam is in a gaseous state, only when it condenses does it form
visible water vapor.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:20:22 -0500, Del Cecchi
wrote:

Your physics class covered "vapor" where "Technically, gases expand and
contract under pressure and spread uniformly through a cylinder. Vapors
don't do that."?

I think the concept that is being struggled with is something called
"particulate matter (PM), aerosols or fine particles".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulate

As a mixed phase substance, the gaseous portion is compressible but
the particles themselves are not.

RCE

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:42:29 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Heh. I suppose the "sucks up" is a stupid way to put it. However, a dry
gas
will "absorb" water vapor.

That does make more sense... :-)

Ever try to buy a bottle of compressed "water vapor"?

No, but I've seen water vapor that was compressed perform work.....
http://tinyurl.com/jtwls

Steam is a gas and behaves as such. Water vapor is not a gas.

RCE

www.eisboch.com

RCE

wrote:

No, but I've seen water vapor that was compressed perform work.....
http://tinyurl.com/jtwls

Steam is in a gaseous state, only when it condenses does it form
visible water vapor.

I agree. Steam is a gas and follows gas laws. Water vapor is not a gas.

RCE

www.eisboch.com