Keith Stelter

Default Mercruiser 470 question.

I have an early 80's Lund with a Mercruiser 470 in it.
I got it out today and hooked the earmuffs to it to fire it up. Everything
seems fine, but I noticed water coming out of what I believe to be the shift
shaft.
Is this normal and ok?
I've had the boat about 5 years and have never noticed this before. I
changed the lower unit oil and it didn't appear to have any water in it, but
if something happened over the winter it probably wouldn't show up in the
lower unit oil until the boat was run in the water for a while.
I have winterized it thoroughly every winter by draining the motor and unit
and then flushing it with antifreeze.
I have the thick Seloc manual for it, but I can't see if the top of the
shift shaft should be open to the water flow or not.
Any advice GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Thanks!

Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Touring 0 February 8th 06 05:42 PM
Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Electronics 0 February 8th 06 05:40 PM
Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Cruising 0 February 8th 06 05:39 PM
Generic small boat hulls question [email protected] Boat Building 0 November 7th 05 07:52 PM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM