Default Generic small boat hulls question

OK, I have a nice little 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion 169. It's in great
shape. Today, I saw a Sea Ray that looked identical with very few
changes, Like the hull seemed identical, winshield identical. seat
placement identical, the dash layout was almost the same with the same
compliment of switch's and guiages. Both mercruiser 140. Sqim ladder
was on the oposite side of mine, but thvents light fixtures lights bow
railing were identical.

I suppose what I'm saying is with exception of the color and the name
on the side, you would swear it was the same boat!

Is it?

The question I'm asking is I'm wondering if various name brands will go
to one certian hull maker, and buy their hull and equip it how they
want to and market it under their name brand? Sort of like The same
style Buick and Oldsmobile. the only thing different is the name and a
few bells and whistles.

I can see at the time when Sea Ray and Chris Craft were wanting to
cater to bigger markets in huge hulls that they possibly didn't want to
waste the manpower to make small craft, but did want to keep a place in
the small craft market. so they buy generic hulls, or hulls created to
their specs but have clues of coming from the same manufacturer.

Could there be any truth to this? Or am I imagining things?
THANKS!
Tim

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM