BoatBanter.com

-   -   One for the not so swift among us- (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/70051-one-not-so-swift-among-us.html)

SamJenson May 26th 06 05:38 AM

One for the not so swift among us-

http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

[email protected] May 26th 06 05:49 AM

One for the not so swift among us-

SamJenson wrote:
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Boy, are you lost.

Try he

http://groups.google.com/group/climatechange?hl=en

jps May 26th 06 06:26 AM

One for the not so swift among us-

In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

jps

SamJenson May 26th 06 06:54 AM

You're a ****ing idiot with a prediction rate as low as you're iq.

basskisser May 26th 06 01:18 PM

SamJenson wrote:
"jps" wrote in message
In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

jps

You're a ****ing idiot with a prediction rate as low as you're iq.

Sam, your childish and petty name calling does nothing for your
credibility. As well as your 1975 technology.

Tim May 26th 06 03:13 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:34:18 GMT, Sean Corbett
wrote:
For those people wanting to make such a linkage.... what about all of
the other planets? Aren't they increasing in temperature too? Or does
Mars get special treatment? What about the temperature on the moon?

Heck, I'm jsut glad it's finally warming up a bit around here!

it's in the 80's which ceems to be normal for this time of year. at the
first part of the week it was in the low 60's and at night , the lower
50's.

Seems like thats the way is is in S. Illinois in the middle of May.
Heater one week and AC the next.

Boat is getting polished up tonight.......

Don White May 26th 06 03:22 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

Harry Krause wrote:

Wait, wait, don't tell us...you're the spawn of Fritz and Robbins,
right, Jenson?

I thought that was Jackoffs claim to fame!

jps May 26th 06 04:13 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

In article ,
says...
You wrote:

In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02,
says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

Were you aware that Mars' temperature is also rising? Explain this.

Well, I'm not sure but I am pretty sure that's not my most pressing
planetary concern since I don't live there.

You may want to consult your Martian planet-mates on the Mars situation.

jps

jps May 26th 06 04:16 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

In article 8Kwdg.8611$Ar6.5092@trnddc02, says...

"jps" wrote in message
In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02,
says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

jps

You're a ****ing idiot with a prediction rate as low as you're iq.

What a well formed retort! Predition rate? Is that the number of men
your mother had to beg in order for you to be sired?

jps

basskisser May 26th 06 04:40 PM

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

Were you aware that Mars' temperature is also rising? Explain this.

Moot point, but since you bring up the issue, there are more than one
factor making up global or planetary warming. The thing is, take a look
at the trend, ie: how much warming over a given period, and you'll find
that it isn't linear. The earth's temperature is rising not only
because of natural causes, but man made.

basskisser May 26th 06 04:54 PM

Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Wait, wait, don't tell us...you're the spawn of Fritz and Robbins,
right, Jenson?

I thought that was Jackoffs claim to fame!

That made me feel like puking.

jps May 26th 06 06:42 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

In article ,
says...
Well, I'm not sure but I am pretty sure that's not my most pressing
planetary concern since I don't live there.

You live in the same solar system, with the same primary source of heat,
and that source of heat has been more active in the past several years.
The relationships seem obvious.

Read Gene Kearns response as it is a so much better formed thought than
anything you've posited.

Your case is based on what's happening on Mars. Your case should be
based on what's happening on earth.

Forest - Trees. Let me know if you need an explanation.

You may want to consult your Martian planet-mates on the Mars
situation.

Ah, idiot-speak for "I know I'm wrong but I won't admit it."

What didn't I admit?

While Mars' situation may have some indication of overarching
circumstances, one need only pay attention to the scientific evidence
being gathered here on earth to understand our need to pay attention.

You, in your willfully ignorant rant, would sacrifice all the evidence
we've gathered here on earth on the basis that Mars is also warming...

Is the entire planetary system warming? Is earth warming faster or
slower that the consensus of the entire system? Is it reasonable to use
Mars alone as a mirror to our own situation?

Do you think that because Mars is warming that we should stuff our heads
up our assess while muttering "oh well, it's the sun's fault"?

That would be idiot-speak and it's a hell of lot closer to your argument
than mine.

jps

basskisser May 26th 06 06:47 PM

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting
backwards since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a
better sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us
will do what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

Were you aware that Mars' temperature is also rising? Explain this.

Moot point

Not at all. Mars and our planet share a primary source of heat, a source
that has been more active over the past few years.

, but since you bring up the issue, there are more than one
factor making up global or planetary warming.

Yet you'd ignore the primary one? Look at what a miniscule difference in
distance from the sun does to weather in say, Toronto and Miami.

The thing is, take a look
at the trend, ie: how much warming over a given period, and you'll find
that it isn't linear. The earth's temperature is rising not only
because of natural causes, but man made.

No measurable data support your claim.

really?
http://www.environ.com/Globalwarming...rmingozone.htm
You see, there is measurable data. We know for a fact that the ozone is
being depleted an ever greater rate. We also know that global warming
does in fact parallel that depletion. There are even graphs showing the
rise in cataracts among elderly that coincide with ozone depletion
graphs because ozone depletion allows harmful UV-B rays into the
atmosphere.
http://www.fpif.org/briefs/vol5/v5n08ozone_body.html
http://www.nearctica.com/geology/global/ozone.htm
http://www.afeas.org/glossary.html
http://www.ratical.org/ratville/ozoneDepletion.html
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/earth/atmos/ozone.htm
Now, remember, I never said that human activity is wholly responsible
for global warming.

Hmm, so you're claiming that global warming trends on Mars and Earth
are parallel?

Jack Goff May 26th 06 07:27 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

On 26 May 2006 10:47:52 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Now, remember, I never said that human activity is wholly responsible
for global warming.

That the earth is currently experiencing a small upswing in temps is
pretty much an undeniable fact.

What bothers me abouty this whole thing is that we have "experts"
trying to tell us what it's going to be like in the year 2100. Hell,
the weatherman can't tell us what the weather will be like 5 days from
now with any kind of decent accuracy! Weather is simple compared to
*climate*, and we're supposed to put faith in these predictions?

Jack

jps May 26th 06 08:02 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

In article ,
says...

There is no such evidence that human activity is responsible for climate
change.

Well, I should have known I was talking with a flat earth proponent.

Have a nice day.

jps

JohnH May 26th 06 08:49 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

"jps" wrote in message
In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

jps

You're a ****ing idiot with a prediction rate as low as you're iq.

"you're iq" ???

LOL!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH May 26th 06 08:54 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

On Fri, 26 May 2006 16:33:34 GMT, Sean Corbett
wrote:

You wrote:

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you meant to say, "Look at what a difference in weather in say
Toronto and Miami is caused by the tilt of the earth's axis."
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Black Dog May 26th 06 09:40 PM

wrote:

Now, remember, I never said that human activity is wholly responsible
for global warming.

That the earth is currently experiencing a small upswing in temps is
pretty much an undeniable fact.

What bothers me abouty this whole thing is that we have "experts"
trying to tell us what it's going to be like in the year 2100. Hell,
the weatherman can't tell us what the weather will be like 5 days from
now with any kind of decent accuracy! Weather is simple compared to
*climate*, and we're supposed to put faith in these predictions?

Jack

It bothers me that people who are refered to as "scientists" (I don't
know if they call themselves that) treat the results of modelling
experiments like they were real data.

I bothers me that people with political agendas can ignore the simple
fact that the sun is responsible for pretty much all of climate
everywhere in the solar system (there are ecosystems in deep sea vents
that do not rely on the sun but they don't really have anything you
would call climate). So an overactive sun at a time when you'd expect
sunspots to at a minimum might be interesting to look at - but anyone
who tries is mocked and accused of being in bed with Exxon or Mobile.

It bothers me that some Australian "Environmentalist", with a book to
sell, comes to my country and tells us that the polar bears are drowning
and will be extinct in 25 years and he makes the front page of every
paper and "no polar bears in 25 years" becomes an accepted fact and a
greenie mantra. When a polar bear biologist from Iqualuit says the
Aussie is full of beans, his words only make the Op Ed page.

I attended my first lecture on global warming in my second year
university in 1985 (back then we called it "the greenhouse effect").
The learned professor displayed the results of the models in graphs and
maps. The predictions he made then haven't changed much in 26 years,
but the dates that these events are to happen sure has. Back then,
there would be no Maldives by 1997 (the Maldives did almost vanish in
2004 but the tsunami was NOT caused by climate change). Much of the
Eastern Seaboard was gone by now. The millions of people displaced by
rising sea levels have started numerous conflicts by now. Forgive me if
I'm a little cynical, but in 26 years NOTHING he predicted has happened.

I'm not saying we should go around polluting as much as possible. I'm
just saying that that there's a lot of bull**** passing itself off a
science these days. My theory is that it is caused by too many people
being university educated (and thus call themselves "scientists")
without being really smart.

On a happier on topic note, I think we are FINALLY going to launch the
boat tomorrow. Whew!

Stella

JoeSpareBedroom May 26th 06 11:01 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

"Black Dog" wrote in message
.. .

I bothers me that people with political agendas can ignore the simple fact
that the sun is responsible for pretty much all of climate everywhere in
the solar system......

That's an interesting comment. Are you referring to non-politicians and
non-scientists who have simply chosen to believe one theory or another?

-rick- May 27th 06 05:38 AM

Black Dog wrote:

It bothers me that people who are refered to as "scientists" (I don't
know if they call themselves that) treat the results of modelling
experiments like they were real data.

That's not at all accurate in my experience. Having spent
most of a career designing circuits by simulation I can
assure you it is obvious that simulations are only as good
as the associated models. Models are developed and
qualified by comparing their behavior to actual
measurements. There is even an old saying that serves as a
warning "simulation is a lot like masturbation, if you do it
enough it starts to feel like the real thing."

-rick-

P. Fritz May 27th 06 01:11 PM

wrote:

Now, remember, I never said that human activity is wholly responsible
for global warming.

That the earth is currently experiencing a small upswing in temps is
pretty much an undeniable fact.

What bothers me abouty this whole thing is that we have "experts"
trying to tell us what it's going to be like in the year 2100. Hell,
the weatherman can't tell us what the weather will be like 5 days from
now with any kind of decent accuracy! Weather is simple compared to
*climate*, and we're supposed to put faith in these predictions?

Jack

Global warming alarmists are no different than religous fanatics. (and
in reality, just another brand)

You must believe in their particular brand or you are a heritic.
Anything out of the ordinary that happens has roots in their beliefs.
There is the constant proclamations of the "end of day"
Those that express their disbelief are shouted down

etc. etc.

Global warming, and their alarmists, are a fraud.
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=081204D

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 01:15 PM

wrote:

[...]

If it were found to be true (the connection between warming and human
activity), how would you then decide which scientist hadn't been a fanatic?

Jack Goff May 27th 06 02:51 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:15:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You may be missing the point. It's not that most people don't
acknowledge some type of connection between warming and human
activity. Rather, it's whether or not human activity plays a
*significant* role in the equation, and if anything we might do could
make any measurable difference whatsoever.

Jack

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 03:00 PM

"Jack Goff" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not missing the point. If you acknowledge the connection, then
logically, you must stop calling any scientist a political fanatic.

Jack Goff May 27th 06 03:03 PM

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:38:28 -0700, -rick- wrote:

Black Dog wrote:

It bothers me that people who are refered to as "scientists" (I don't
know if they call themselves that) treat the results of modelling
experiments like they were real data.

That's not at all accurate in my experience. Having spent
most of a career designing circuits by simulation I can
assure you it is obvious that simulations are only as good
as the associated models. Models are developed and
qualified by comparing their behavior to actual
measurements. There is even an old saying that serves as a
warning "simulation is a lot like masturbation, if you do it
enough it starts to feel like the real thing."

-rick-

If by "circuits" you mean electronic circuits, that's a whole
different kettle of fish. Electronic circuit simulators are a
well-developed, fairly mature technology. Even RF circuits can be
modeled fairly accurately. These simulators have the advantage that
you point out... "Models are developed and qualified by comparing
their behavior to actual measurements."

Simulating and modeling climate change 94 years in the future does not
have that advantage. Scientist have no test climate that they can
introduce variables into, and no time machine to travel 94 years into
the future to measure the results. Therefore, unlike your circuit
simulator, there is no way to check the output of their climate
simulator against real-world results to verify its accuracy.

As previously discussed, weather models can't tell us with any decent
accuracy what it will be like in 5 days. Are you really telling me
that you believe a climate model for 94 years into the future?

Jack

Jack Goff May 27th 06 04:20 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:00:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I didn't call anyone a fanatic. That was someone else.

However, whether or not there's a connection has little to do with a
scientist being a political fanatic. Being correct on a single theory
does not preclude one from being a fanatic.

P. Fritz May 27th 06 05:51 PM

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:00:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It is comical how the Global Warming Alarmists react. Anyone that doesn't
believe in the creed is "in denial" or has been bought by the "evil
corporate conspiracy" Have you noticed at almost every alarmist has
socialist leanings, some even wish to eliminate humans from the earth,
they also have short memories........forgetting the "coming ice age"
doomsday predictions of the 70's.

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 08:13 PM

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:00:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You sound really smart. I want to learn from you. What is a socialist?

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 08:34 PM

One for the not so swift among us-

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"P. Fritz" wrote in message
"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:00:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

According to Fritz, any legitimate scientist who doesn't support President
Retardo.

I wonder which president was part of the definition when Marx was alive and
writing.

thunder May 27th 06 08:51 PM

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:51:33 -0400, P. Fritz wrote:

It is comical how the Global Warming Alarmists react. Anyone that
doesn't
believe in the creed is "in denial" or has been bought by the "evil
corporate conspiracy" Have you noticed at almost every alarmist has
socialist leanings, some even wish to eliminate humans from the earth,
they also have short memories........forgetting the "coming ice age"
doomsday predictions of the 70's.

And the difference between a "Global Warming Alarmist" and you, would be?
"socialist leanings", "eliminate humans", yup, I can see you are open to
the possibility that this planet could be warming. Scientists, who have
spent their entire careers studying this issue, have come down on both
sides, but the general body of science believes the planet is warming.
The only real debate is it natural, or man made.

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 09:00 PM

"thunder" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:51:33 -0400, P. Fritz wrote:

It is comical how the Global Warming Alarmists react. Anyone that
doesn't
believe in the creed is "in denial" or has been bought by the "evil
corporate conspiracy" Have you noticed at almost every alarmist has
socialist leanings, some even wish to eliminate humans from the earth,
they also have short memories........forgetting the "coming ice age"
doomsday predictions of the 70's.

And the difference between a "Global Warming Alarmist" and you, would be?
"socialist leanings", "eliminate humans", yup, I can see you are open to
the possibility that this planet could be warming. Scientists, who have
spent their entire careers studying this issue, have come down on both
sides, but the general body of science believes the planet is warming.
The only real debate is it natural, or man made.

I'll bet you $11.39 that I can make this Fritz unit go off on a tangent that
100% predictable. Say when.

JohnH May 28th 06 12:35 AM

One for the not so swift among us-

On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:21:13 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006 16:34:36 GMT, Sean Corbett penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Explain the increase in Mars' temperature.

Explain the direct relationship between Martian weather and the
Earth's weather.

Ummm, they share a primary source of heat?

That's right, there is none.

Noone who would start their argument from such a position of ignorance is
worth my time.

Sadly though, as a testament to the poor science/logic/math education
that we have given to many of our students, this is an all too often
repeated talking point.

It's even more sad that so few kids take advantage of the math and science
opportunities that *do* exist in our high schools.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

basskisser May 28th 06 03:12 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I wouldn't touch that bet, we all know Fritz!!!

-rick- May 29th 06 07:41 AM

Jack Goff wrote:
Therefore, unlike your circuit
simulator, there is no way to check the output of their climate
simulator against real-world results to verify its accuracy.

So we've apparently misplaced all records of the past?

JoeSpareBedroom May 29th 06 03:23 PM

"-rick-" wrote in message
Jack Goff wrote:
Therefore, unlike your circuit
simulator, there is no way to check the output of their climate
simulator against real-world results to verify its accuracy.

So we've apparently misplaced all records of the past?

If that's convenient, then yes.

If you push hard enough, you'll find that behind some peoples'
interpretation of the science we have at the moment, there's something
unscientific that you can't do anything about. You have to just wait for
these people to drop dead, in the same way the South had to wait (and is
still waiting) for racists to drop dead already. The "something" is fear of
having to change their behavior. These people believe that the two
statements below are exactly identical:

1) As your president, I'm telling you that we all need to think more
carefully about how our choices affect the earth.

2) Effective immediately, there will be a $1500.00 federal surcharge on any
vehicle which gets lets than 28 mpg. We will control you.

Jack Goff May 29th 06 03:35 PM

On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:41:45 -0700, -rick- wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:
Therefore, unlike your circuit
simulator, there is no way to check the output of their climate
simulator against real-world results to verify its accuracy.

So we've apparently misplaced all records of the past?

Of course not. But those records are woefully incomplete to enable an
accurate model to be constructed. How many weather satellites did we
have 100 years ago?

You seem to be thinking that climate is like an NPN transistor. It's
not. Think of a black box with 200 inputs and 10 outputs. We know
what the ouputs are, and can measure them. We know what most of the
inputs are, and are pretty sure about the rest. It's reasonable to
assume that there's a few that we don't know about, and may never
know. Of the inputs we understand, we've just recently identified and
have been able to measure many of them (in the climate timeline scheme
of things). We've seen that there is a huge time lag inside of this
box, sometimes years, sometimes decades. Finally, we have virtually
no control of any of the inputs, so we can't change just one and
observe the outputs. Most of the inputs are totally out of our
control, and are constantly changing. So once again, unlike your
simple circuit on the bench, the climate computer model can not be
verified against the real world.

So answer this, Rick. As previously discussed, weather models can't
tell us with any decent accuracy what it will be like in 5 days. Are
you really telling me that you believe a climate model's prediction
for 94 years into the future?

Jack

basskisser May 29th 06 04:13 PM

Jack Goff wrote:
Therefore, unlike your circuit
simulator, there is no way to check the output of their climate
simulator against real-world results to verify its accuracy.

So we've apparently misplaced all records of the past?

Of course not. But those records are woefully incomplete to enable an
accurate model to be constructed. How many weather satellites did we
have 100 years ago?

Maybe they didn't have weather satellites then, but they had weather.
They also had people quite competent in keeping data.

[...]

Flawed analogy. Very flawed. the model for recent events (5 days in
your case is much more detailed and refined than the 94 year model. The
more detailed and the more refined a model is, the more instances of
error. Ergo, while a 5 day model might not be accurate in your eyes, if
it were the same detail as the 94 year model, it would be spot on.