Default life jackets

How effective are life jackets at keeping people afloat? If you are
conscious, is it possible to drown even if you are wearing a life
jacket?

I've googled, and found the same definitions of type I, II, III and so
on. While this was helpful, it wasn't super clear regarding proper
size, buoyancy, brands, etc..

Which type is the most effective? Which brands are the best, and are
there a few online knowledgeable resellers that provide real help in
selecting one? What should the ballpark cost be?

I'm 6'3'', 240lbs, and wear a size 44 jacket.

The use would be occasional water skiing, recreational boating, etc.
While comfort and style would be nice side benefits, I'm mainly
interested in it saving my ass, whether it's bulky or costly really
doesn't matter a whole lot.

Thanks.

Keith

wrote:
How effective are life jackets at keeping people afloat? If you are
conscious, is it possible to drown even if you are wearing a life
jacket?

Yes, you can drown while conscious and wearing a life jacket if the
life jacket is worn improperly or is undersized. In addition, you can
easily die wearing a life jacket if you spend too long in the water
(more than 15-20 minutes in some cases) and you become hypothermic.

I've googled, and found the same definitions of type I, II, III and so
on. While this was helpful, it wasn't super clear regarding proper
size, buoyancy, brands, etc..

Which type is the most effective? Which brands are the best, and are
there a few online knowledgeable resellers that provide real help in
selecting one? What should the ballpark cost be?

There's no point to buying a lifejacket on line. Go down to the marine
supply store where you can try one on, be sure it's going to fit, etc.
You might spend an extra 10%, and that could be $4-$5 more than buying
on line, but if you ever need this thing to do it's job you would much
rather know you got one that fit instead of know that you saved $5.

I'm 6'3'', 240lbs, and wear a size 44 jacket.

The use would be occasional water skiing, recreational boating, etc.
While comfort and style would be nice side benefits, I'm mainly
interested in it saving my ass, whether it's bulky or costly really
doesn't matter a whole lot.

Thanks.

Keith

Bob

I'm 6'3'', 240lbs, and wear a size 44 jacket.

Strap an inflatable raft to you ass??? Just kidding, please don't take
offense!

Actually at 240 pound I think his ass is ample enough for proper:
1) hypothermic protection
2) Boyancy

Bob