Default Loaner life jacket program

Your yacht club, fishing club, or other waterfront business or
organization can apply through BoatUS to participate in the life jacket
loaner program.

Details follow:

NEWS From BoatU.S.
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatU.S. News Room at http://www.BoatUS.com/news/releases.asp

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Joni Turken, , 703-823-9550 ext. 8352
NOTE to EDITORS: PHOTOS AVAILABLE of children wearing life jackets.
Date: January 11, 2006

A FEW GOOD MARINAS SOUGHT
FOR BOATU.S. FOUNDATION'S LIFE JACKET LOANER PROGRAM

Deadline February 21, 2006

The easiest way to ensure a child's safety on the water is to make sure
they wear a properly-fitting life jacket. But children's growth spurts
or last minute changes to the roster of invited guests don't always
make that easy. However, your boat club or waterfront business may be
able to help next season as the BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety
& Clean Water is looking for new locations to become lending sites for
its free Life Jacket Loaner Program.

There is no cost to become a loaner site and presently over 328 clubs
and businesses participate as Life Jacket Loaner Program sites. Since
the program began in 1997, three children's lives have been saved as a
result of wearing a BoatU.S. life jacket. The loaner life jacket kit
consists of 12 jackets in a protective container, signage and
easy-to-use sign-out sheets to track usage. Three sizes are included
for kids up to 90 pounds.

To download an application to become a Life Jacket Loaner Program site
or for more information on the laws in your state, please visit
http://www.BoatUS.com/Foundation/LJLP. Applications will be accepted
until February 21, 2006.

The BoatU.S Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water is a national
501(c)(3) nonprofit education and research organization primarily
funded by the voluntary contributions of 630,000 members of BoatU.S.
The Foundation operates more than a dozen programs including the only
accredited, free, online general boating safety course, a low-cost
EPIRB rental program, the "Help Stop the Drops" national clean fueling
campaign, a free kid's Life Jacket Loaner program, and has awarded
hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants for nonprofit groups for
boating safety and environmental projects.

Reggie Smithers

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

i hope to hell they get people to at least try the things on the kids
by chucking them in the water to see if they keep their faces out of
the water.

"Chucking" them in the water? Wouldn't it be better to just have the
kids swim in the water? ; )

You must have been one tough Dad.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:14:44 -0500, Reggie Smithers
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

i hope to hell they get people to at least try the things on the kids
by chucking them in the water to see if they keep their faces out of
the water.

"Chucking" them in the water? Wouldn't it be better to just have the
kids swim in the water? ; )

same thing. sort of.

You must have been one tough Dad.

corps standard baby. up at oh-dark-thirty, beds made and inspection
before breakfast. worked on a demerit system - 25 demerits a week
which equaled their allowance - so many demerits equaled a decrease in
allowance. this stayed in force and included curfew restrictions as
they became teenagers.

toe the line.

When I started talkin' tough to my oldest when he was in Elementary
School, he'd pick up the phone and threaten to call the child abuse
line. Seems it was something being pushed in the schools at that time,
and he figured he had it over me.
I'd tell him to go ahead...the worst they would do is take him away to a
foster home. That always gave him reason to contemplate.
Reggie Smithers

On 12 Jan 2006 00:31:10 -0800, wrote:

Your yacht club, fishing club, or other waterfront business or
organization can apply through BoatUS to participate in the life jacket
loaner program.

the problem with child life preservers isn't weight you know - it's
center of gravity. a child might weigh 40 lbs, but the body may have
a high center of gravity which would put it face down in the water
should the need for one actually be realized.

i hope to hell they get people to at least try the things on the kids
by chucking them in the water to see if they keep their faces out of
the water.

That's how I learned how to swim. At four, my father carried me out into
bathing suit deep water in the ocean and "chucked me in," saying
"swim...or sink." Or something like that.

That was it. I learned how to dog paddle that instant, and it didn't
take me long to realize that if I wanted to breathe, I had to keep my
face out of the water.

All of my kids learned at the age of 6 months. There was a YMCA program
for infants. When they started to walk it would freak everyone out
when they would watch them jump into the pool.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
boating, please do not respond to the political and inflammatory
off- topic posts and flames.
Dan Krueger

Harry Krause wrote:

That's how I learned how to swim. At four, my father carried me out into
bathing suit deep water in the ocean and "chucked me in," saying
"swim...or sink." Or something like that.

That was it. I learned how to dog paddle that instant, and it didn't
take me long to realize that if I wanted to breathe, I had to keep my
face out of the water.

That explains a lot!

Dan