Reggie Smithers

Default Loaner life jacket program

Harry Krause wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 12 Jan 2006 00:31:10 -0800, wrote:

Your yacht club, fishing club, or other waterfront business or
organization can apply through BoatUS to participate in the life jacket
loaner program.

the problem with child life preservers isn't weight you know - it's
center of gravity. a child might weigh 40 lbs, but the body may have
a high center of gravity which would put it face down in the water
should the need for one actually be realized.

i hope to hell they get people to at least try the things on the kids
by chucking them in the water to see if they keep their faces out of
the water.

That's how I learned how to swim. At four, my father carried me out into
bathing suit deep water in the ocean and "chucked me in," saying
"swim...or sink." Or something like that.

That was it. I learned how to dog paddle that instant, and it didn't
take me long to realize that if I wanted to breathe, I had to keep my
face out of the water.

All of my kids learned at the age of 6 months. There was a YMCA program
for infants. When they started to walk it would freak everyone out
when they would watch them jump into the pool.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss