posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.sport.jetski

Default Ifinder H20 Color gps questions

Anyone used this handheld gps for marine navigation? It seems like a
good way to get into nice color screens for less than the Garmin GPS
Map76C which I've always lusted after but was way more than I wanted to
spend on a handheld. I've used the etrex Legend as a compromise for
years, owned several....but as of yesterday I find myself in the market
for a new one after a big wave knocked mine out of its handlebar mount
and into the Long Island Sound...and I've been thinking of moving to
the Lowrance since I started hearing about it recently.

Specifically does anyone know how the built-in base maps for compare
for marine use, to those on the Legend? About the same in terms of
shoreline detail and navaid info (the legend just shows the color of
each navaid but not the #, same with the Lowrance)? What about the
NauticaPath cd of detailed charts for the iFinders; does the level of
detail you get on screen with this loaded on, compare to that of
Garmin's MapSource Inland Waterways CD which I've always loaded into my
legends? Is is more detailed, is it closer to whay you'd get from
Garmin's BlueChart CD's? Maybe the iFinder's basemap is close to
Legend + MapSource, and loading the NauticaPath is more like GpsMap76C
+ BlueChart?

What about the non-color iFinder H20? Same basemaps and cd
compatibility as the color model?

Thanks,
richforman

Metal Keel, fin, finish, repair, questions, questions Lester Evans Boat Building 1 April 23rd 06 04:00 PM
Grant's Tomb Questions... RG General 3 February 23rd 06 02:42 AM
Grant's Tomb Questions... RCE General 1 February 23rd 06 01:31 AM
Grant's Tomb Questions... JimH General 0 February 22nd 06 10:36 PM
Grant's Tomb Questions... JimH General 0 February 22nd 06 09:12 PM