trainfan1

Default distributor cap condensation

Charles T. Low wrote:
Thank you Rob and to the others who have replied. I'm learning by leaps.

By the way, someone asked if it's a Prestolite - don't know, no name shown
that I've seen.

While waiting for my new cap/rotor, I sprayed it with pressurized "air" from
a can because it still _looked_ damp, sprayed some oil in there (I have some
generic brand which says "penetrating and water-dispersing..." ???), waited
a while, wiped out the small amount remaining, and ran it again.

It was still horrible. I thought I would try detaching and reattaching leads
one by one from the distributor to see if any particular ones were at fault,
and it didn't make a noticeable difference running it on 7 cylinders only,
except that gradually, barely noticeably, by the time I had finished, it was
running almost normally. As if each lead connection needed air ... ???

Sounds like the cap is carbon tracked. Check the plug wire continuity &
resistance, too. Swap out a known good coil - coil could be weak. On
the Chrysler ignition, I always carry a spare ballast resistor, &
ignition/amplifier module, either of which can give similar
problems(resistor usually is no start or runs while cranking only).

Anyway, when the cap comes, I'm also going to install upgraded spark plugs,
new leads, and will take it from there.

I will check under the oil cap for milkiness. Don't think so. (Distributor
open to crankcase ... would not have thought of that! And why are they
designed that way ... ???)

Where would I see a spark/vent screen on the distributor mechanism? Haven't
come across it so far.

Picture C, the round "spot", is a screen:

http://marinemechanic.com/merc/distr...-ford-dist.jpg

Rob
basskisser

RCE wrote:
"Charles T. Low" [withoutUN] wrote in message
Thank you. Does the penetrating oil dry it, or seal it, or both? How often
would it be required?

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

"RCE" wrote in message
Your handy dandy can of WD-40. Lightly spray inside the distributor cap,
let it air for a half hour, then re-install.
RCE

WD-40 is not really penetrating oil. It is non-conductive and hygroscopic.
It will absorb any condensation or moisture that developed within the cap.

For some reason, MoPar products of that vintage were notorious for poor
resistance to wet climates. My father-in-law taught me the WD-40 trick.
Don't really know how long one application would last.

RCE

Bingo! I had a Plymouth Duster that ran awful in rainy whether because
of condensation in the cap.

Reginald P. Smithers

WD-40 stands for the "Water Displacement- 40th formula".