Reginald P. Smithers

Default Don't do it

Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

JoeSpareBedroom

"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
ps.com...
Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

Actually, don't install the beta of ANY software, unless the machine you're
using is reserved for experiments, and is not used for generating income.

basskisser

Harry Krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

I don't seem to have programs called "Windows Media Center" or "Comcast
Photoshow."

Harry, Windows Media Center comes with XP only on newer multimedia
PC's. Comcast Photoshow is a download if you are a Comcast Cable
internet subcriber.

basskisser

Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

Look into PC Tools website, and download a free edition of their
registry mechanic, it works, here is the URL:
http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php

JoeSpareBedroom

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
ps.com...
Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

Actually, don't install the beta of ANY software, unless the machine
you're using is reserved for experiments, and is not used for generating
income.

Horsepuckies. I install betas all the time. It's the alphas that are
scary. I'm running a beta of VISTA right now on one of my other machines,
and I haven't had any serious trouble with most of it, and the trouble I
have had has nothing to do with my income-earning apps.

I've been messing with Windows OS betas for, hell, 20 years, going back to
the early alpha-beta distro releases of 1.0 on packs of floppies.

You will pay. It's not a question of if. It's a question of when.

JoeSpareBedroom

basskisser wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
Don't install the beta version of Media Player 11. Against my better
judgment I installed a MS beta version of MP11. After installing the
software, I started to have problems with Windows Media Center and
Comcast Photoshow.

I have rolled back my software and I am still having problems with the
software.

I have always considered MS final release to be beta until it has been
on the market for at least 6 months, I should have known better.

I don't seem to have programs called "Windows Media Center" or "Comcast
Photoshow."

Harry, Windows Media Center comes with XP only on newer multimedia
PC's. Comcast Photoshow is a download if you are a Comcast Cable
internet subcriber.

Gee. My PC isn't a "multi-media" PC? I wonder what it is missing? :-)
Actually, when I bought my PC parts, I had a choice of OS's, and "media
center" was one of them. If memory serves, it was "missing" some
interesting networking components, so I went with XP Pro instead.

Thanks.

Have you poked around the MS site to see if you can download the thing?

RG

Gee. My PC isn't a "multi-media" PC? I wonder what it is missing? :-)
Actually, when I bought my PC parts, I had a choice of OS's, and "media
center" was one of them. If memory serves, it was "missing" some
interesting networking components, so I went with XP Pro instead.

Nice try. Windows XP Media Center Edition is built on the XP Pro chassis.
The splash screen at boot is the same black splash screen of XP Pro. XP
Media Center has every single component of XP Pro, with the Media Center
interface added. The Media Center part of the OS is a supplementary layer
of the OS. If it is not invoked, you are running a standard XP Pro machine.
If it is invoked, it runs as an application under XP Pro. Media Center is
only available as an OEM install, and only available on PC's which meet MS
hardware standards for a Multimedia PC. These standards include a minimum
hard drive size, ram, processor speed, and video card performance
specifications, as well as the required TV Tuner and multimedia ports.

I have two HP Multimedia Desktops that I bought in 2005. I wasn't really
looking for a Multimedia PC per se, but as it turns out it was a very
convenient way to buy a box equipped with much better than average
componentry packaged together, and HP was damn near giving the things away
at the time. But I have to say that the Multimedia part of the OS turns out
to be a nice addition to XP Pro.

RG

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
RG wrote:

[...]

Nice try what? I bought my pieces and parts from an OEM. Ergo, I was
offered several flavors of XP, including XP Pro and XP Media.

Nice try claiming that XP Media Center Edition lacked networking features of
XP Pro, which is the sentence in your previous post (purposefully clipped by
me) immediately preceding my comment, the reason you stated that you passed
on it in favor of XP Pro, and the main point of my reply. You really don't
want to dance with me.

Reginald P. Smithers

Harry,
It might not have been the Media Player that caused the problem, but
both problems popped up the same day I installed MP11. I keep telling
myself, I need to let you and others play with the betas, there is a
reason they call them betas.

Reginald P. Smithers

Media Center is a silly idea. It is MS trying to make Windows a do
everything OS and make it more user friendly, I think they failed on
both accounts. I prefer using individual applications to do everything
MS Media Center offers.
You are better off with XP Pro.