Default Aircraft Carrier Sunk by Friendly Fire!

But it improves fishing off of Pensacola, FLA, so it's on-topic.

The "Oriskany" was intentionally sunk to create an artificial reef. The
Navy loaded the venerable 56-year old carrier, (a veteran of three
wars), with strategically placed charges and she settled reasonably
quickly after the explosions.

Pilots stationed on the Oriskany suffered the highest loss ratio of any
air group during the Viet Nam war, and Senator John McCain took off
from the Oriskany before being shot down and held as a POW for five
years. John F. Kennedy used the deck of the Oriskany as the stage for a
televised speech during the Cuban missle crisis, and the vessel was the
main carrier used for the movie "The Bridges of Toko Rei".

Reginald P. Smithers

That will not only be a great reef, but one hell of a dive site.

Bill Kearney

That will not only be a great reef, but one hell of a dive site.

And new places for jellyfish to spawn. \
RG

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hate to hear that about any historic vessel, but then again, nothing
lasts forever.
I would think that if it was mine, I would have sold it off for scrap
salvage, and put a couple bucks back into the Naval coffer.

It was originally sold for scrap, but the buyer defaulted on the payment and
the Navy had to repo the ship.

Wayne.B

On 18 May 2006 10:11:49 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

I would think that if it was mine, I would have sold it off for scrap
salvage, and put a couple bucks back into the Naval coffer.

Which would land you squarely in the middle of a third world hazmat
discussion since that's where most of the ship salvage business is
located.