Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dan Krueger

Default Dealer friend recommends: don't buy extended warranty

Harry Krause wrote:

Here's something to think about.

The warranty on my Yamaha F225 expires this year, and I've been
wondering whether to buy the three year extended warranty for $2200.
It seemed awfully expensive, especially since I really haven't had to
spend a dime on the engine, other than pre-season and post-season
winterizing and recommissioning.

So I called a Yamaha dealer friend up north for advice, rather than my
selling dealer. I figured he'd give me the skinny on whether the expense
was worthwhile.

"No," he said. "Don't bother." "We haven't had enough repair work on
F225s to keep anyone busy here, and some of these motors have 600 hours
on them. The odds are well on your side."

Cool.

Next year, I am told, there is a slight chance that Yamaha's new block
300 hp four stroke will be on the market. If I still have Yo Ho, that'll
be the upgrade I want.

Why would you consider an extended warranty for a boat you might sell?
The $2200 wouldn't be worth nearly that much as a selling point.

And why are you considering an upgrade to a 300 hp motor for a boat you
might sell? How often can/do you really use the 225 hp you already have?