JimH

Default Need a Power Tool to Polish/Wax the Gelcoat

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
JIMinFL wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
RCE wrote:
"jds" wrote in message
sorry, but an orbital polisher will not restore the dull gelcoat.
they are just what they say they are, polishers, not buffers. get
a good variable speed buffer, makita, dewalt, or equivalant.

a job like this requires several steps and you can do them all
with a buffer, you just change the pads. depending on just how
oxidized it is , you may get by with a polishing pad, usually
yellow in color, and some fine compound. if not yo need some
coarser compound and a cutting pad. once the oxidation is gone,
just switch to a foam polishing pad and a good wax. apply the wax
by hand and hit it with the foam pad. if you really want to get
sexy, put a good glaze on top of the wax and put your sunglasses
on, you'll need em.

i just did a friends 20 foot boat last weekend, and as jim so
rightly says, there aint no easy way to do it unless you pay
someone else. took us both all day and 2 12 pax of pepsi, but it
is purdy. best regards, j.d.

A word of caution. An aggressive buffer combined with compound -
even fine - can easily burn right through the gelcoat if you are
not careful. The gelcoat is thin on most boats, like the thickness
of a dime or less. Any thicker and it would be prone to excessive
cracking.

RCE
Buffing a car/boat is not for the average person. It is best left
to the experts.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Interesting comment Reginald. Would you care to share your definition
of an "average person"?

FlaJim,

Feel free to call me Reggie.

By "average person", I mean someone who has not been shown how to
correctly use a buffer, the different buffer pads and the different
compounds. It is very easy to burn through the clear coat or the gel
coat or just have a car that is full of obvious swirl marks.

A buffer used incorrectly can cause more problems then it solves.

http://www.automotivedetailing.com/a...ed_buffers.htm

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Now I get it. When you say average, you really mean inexperienced.

Telling folks that they are not capable of polishing or buffing their
boat or car is doing them a disservice IMO.

All you have to do is buy the PC 7424 random-orbit polisher/buffer
talked about in this thread and read the directions. Even the
inexperienced can use it safely.

JimH --

Do you bother to *read* a post before you respond to it or do you just
type off a response based on what you *think* it said?

RCE

Oh, I read it OK Richard.

Did you happen to miss this statement?

"Buffing a car/boat is not for the average person. It is best left to the
experts."

*That* is what I was responding to. Got it?

Good.

That being said, I now have a question for you Richard: Do you bother to
*read* a post before you respond to it or do you just type off a response
based on what you *think* it said?

Reginald P. Smithers

RCE wrote:
"jds" wrote in message
[...]

JimH,
The conversation was not in reference to the average person using wax or
polish or using a random orbit polishing, it was in reference to someone
who would pick up a high speed circular buffing machine and use it like
a random orbit buffer. You inability to follow the thread highlighted
the dangers of someone thinking they know what they are doing, without
bothering to read about the machine, the pads and the compounds.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
bowgus

I suppose if you've got all season to do the job ... and what size boat
did you do?

jds

"bowgus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I suppose if you've got all season to do the job ... and what size boat
did you do?
i did a 20' open bow. i used a good machine compound with a cutting pad. i
then used finesse and a polish pad, and my friend waxed it himself. the
reason i suggested a polish pad and finesse, is everybody seems to have
their panties in a wad over burning the gelcoat.yo wont do it with finesse
and a polish pad, and its actually a lot harder to burn than people might
think and for that matter , i burn paint sometimes myself and ive been
doing this kind of stuff for 30 years. if you're that all fired scared of
trying something new, get back in your crib and put your thumb back in your
mouth because you damn sure dont belong in a boat , out on the water, where
a wave might splash you and actually get you all wet.

JohnH

On Sun, 07 May 2006 10:29:53 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers"
wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.

Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JimH

wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.

Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Sorry guys but the thread was not about *high speed* buffing. It was about
buffing.

Nice try though.

JimH

wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.

Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Funny thing isn't it: Just before I leave to wash and wax the boat and read
several posts where 2 folks try to pick a fight with me.

I come back from working on the boat and I read a new post by yet another
person trying to pick a fight with me.

And yet *I* am the one being accused of starting fights and ****ing
contests.

Way to funny! ;-)

Reginald P. Smithers

wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.

Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Sorry guys but the thread was not about *high speed* buffing. It was about
buffing.

Nice try though.

You may not have been talking about high speed circular buffing, but
that is what JiminFla, RCE and I were talking about. That being the
case, I can understand why you were confused.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
JohnH

On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:09:43 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers"
wrote:

wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.
Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Sorry guys but the thread was not about *high speed* buffing. It was about
buffing.

Nice try though.

You may not have been talking about high speed circular buffing, but
that is what JiminFla, RCE and I were talking about. That being the
case, I can understand why you were confused.

It *is* kind of nice to see JimH apologizing before being shown the error
of his ways!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Sun, 7 May 2006 17:19:50 -0400, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If you read JimH's response, you can see an example of someone who can
not tell the difference between a high speed buffer and a random orbit
buffer. Unfortunately, some people are not able to read directions or
follow a thread discussion high speed buffing.

Good point.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Funny thing isn't it: Just before I leave to wash and wax the boat and read
several posts where 2 folks try to pick a fight with me.

I come back from working on the boat and I read a new post by yet another
person trying to pick a fight with me.

And yet *I* am the one being accused of starting fights and ****ing
contests.

Way to funny! ;-)

Whose two posts did you read? No one's looking for a fight with you.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Tool for Bobspit & his puppet Joe ASA 1 April 25th 06 06:11 PM
Delay on timer relay for AC power supplies [email protected] Electronics 4 February 7th 06 08:25 PM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
gelcoat Brian Nystrom Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 01:54 PM