Drifter

Default Pretext for marine insurance to drop customers?

Real fast,

My insurance co. (seriously legit big guy) sent me a photo survey kit.
I did, returned. They got back with a surveyor report stating the
following needed to be done (no "or else" was given) Some things were
totally inline (tag extinguishers, tag inspect halon system, bouy with
line, etc). Some others were MODIFICATIONS to the fuel system not
listed in a Sea Ray service bulletin. Adding vapor detectors, cut off
valves, and so on.

Sure, these may be good ideas. But they are not stock and require big
cash and expertise to implement safely. Sea Ray has not sent out
service bulletins requesting that they be done either.

I have had this insurance for 5 years, no claims at all, pay my bills.
Are they trying to force me out? What if I decide not to take thier
advice? No I have not asked them, too busy with other facets of life
right now. But I did just get a follow up mail asking why they are
not done yet. Aside from items needed to comply with MD or Federal
regs. I don't feel obligated to sink more money into a boat they fully
knew the pedigree of when they sold me the policy. Unless they want
to underwrite these fixes that is.. fat chance there.

Just wondering if it is a pretext to drop long term customers as the
odds of a claim increase the longer you carry the policy.

Drifter wrote:
[...]

More likely the result of marine underwriters taking some *huge* losses
from Katrina, Rita, et al last year. Certain risks can be controlled,
including some of the risks your carrier asked you to address, and it
seems reasonable for an insurance company to ask polilcyholders to
reduce the risk of loss.

Read your policy: They may have the right to demand that you make these
upgrades to keep your coverage in force- or (worse yet)- in the event
of a loss they may look for an opportujnity to deny coverage based on a
lack of compliance with the policy terms.

If they wanted to drop you, they would just send a notice of
non-renewal.