Rosalie B.

Default mighty budget cruisers,.. when/how do you dump your auto insurance?

dashboard jesus wrote:

I know, it's pathetic but I'd like to pocket the $65usd I'm paying
monthly for auto insurance. I hope to be gone 2 years at least. What
do people usually do about this? I live in a nanny nation where you
have to have insurance to drive but when I cast off I shall leave them
behind to shift for themselves. I have 2 vehicles on Safeco now with
one claim in 12 years. Thanks.

Around here, the insurance is on the car rather than the person. If
we were going to store the cars for two years, aside from what we
would do to make sure that they would start when we got back, we could
turn the license plates in to the DMV and cancel the insurance.

Since we don't want to do that, and since we aren't allowed to have
different levels of insurance even on cars that aren't being driven,
we have two different insurance companies - one with normal levels of
insurance for the cars we drive, and one with the absolute minimum
allowed on the others.

grandma Rosalie
Mika the Spamkiller

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:13:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

dashboard jesus wrote:

I know, it's pathetic but I'd like to pocket the $65usd I'm paying
monthly for auto insurance. I hope to be gone 2 years at least. What
do people usually do about this? I live in a nanny nation where you
have to have insurance to drive but when I cast off I shall leave them

Around here, the insurance is on the car rather than the person. If
we were going to store the cars for two years, aside from what we
would do to make sure that they would start when we got back, we could
turn the license plates in to the DMV and cancel the insurance.

Since we don't want to do that, and since we aren't allowed to have
different levels of insurance even on cars that aren't being driven,
we have two different insurance companies - one with normal levels of
insurance for the cars we drive, and one with the absolute minimum
allowed on the others.

And around here one can do without any insurance if the car in
question is stored. No need to return plates. Just notify insurance
company, and you won´t pay anything (and that time will not count in
your bonus system, usually 5-10% extra discount for every 12 months
without accidents, up to 70% off normal premium).

Naturally, there are severe penalties if one is caught driving a car
that is reported as stored and not insured.

Mike

Rosalie B.

wrote:

dashboard jesus wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it would be useful to know where people are. I'm in Maryland
and the DMV requires the insurance company to notify them if we report
that the car is not being driven, and then to ensure that we don't
drive it, we have to turn the plates in (and there's no refund on the
un expired tag). This is definitely a state by state thing, as I know
they don't have to do this in Florida.

I'm assuming the OP is in the US also because he reports his auto
insurance costs in $$, but I don't know where.

grandma Rosalie
Steve

I'm in WA as well and my insurance company informs me that they must report
my cancellation of my insurance, on a particular vehicle.

I have a number of older classic car/trucks registered in my name and since
most of them haven't yet been restored to drivable condition, I simply
refuse to insure them and am waiting for a nasty letter from the DOL
(Dept.of Licensing). Hasn't happened in 10 years.

Also, in WA, if your vehicle is off the road for the entire license year,
you don't have to license it. Once you are ready to put it back on the road,
you simply ask for new plated and a years registration. BTW. Don't try this
on a newly acquired vehicle since there is a heavy penalty if you don't
transfer the title within 15 days of purchase.

My experience FWIW.

Steve

"dashboard jesus" wrote in message
news
I'm the designated op and live in WA state. If I remember, it's a
fairly vicious scam. If you cancel or are late in payment the
insurance co can make you pay as an uninsured or irresponsible driver
at prohibitive rates. I thought people living on boats might have delt
with this before. Thank you.