Mika the Spamkiller

Default mighty budget cruisers,.. when/how do you dump your auto insurance?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:13:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

dashboard jesus wrote:

I know, it's pathetic but I'd like to pocket the $65usd I'm paying
monthly for auto insurance. I hope to be gone 2 years at least. What
do people usually do about this? I live in a nanny nation where you
have to have insurance to drive but when I cast off I shall leave them

Around here, the insurance is on the car rather than the person. If
we were going to store the cars for two years, aside from what we
would do to make sure that they would start when we got back, we could
turn the license plates in to the DMV and cancel the insurance.

Since we don't want to do that, and since we aren't allowed to have
different levels of insurance even on cars that aren't being driven,
we have two different insurance companies - one with normal levels of
insurance for the cars we drive, and one with the absolute minimum
allowed on the others.

And around here one can do without any insurance if the car in
question is stored. No need to return plates. Just notify insurance
company, and you won´t pay anything (and that time will not count in
your bonus system, usually 5-10% extra discount for every 12 months
without accidents, up to 70% off normal premium).

Naturally, there are severe penalties if one is caught driving a car
that is reported as stored and not insured.

Mike